Monday, December 22, 2008

Buckwheat Pepper Crisps (Page 603)

RECIPE #890

  • Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

I have been eying this recipe for a while now, and I finally got around to making it a couple weeks ago. I combined butter, egg, and milk in a blender and added a mixture of all-purpose flour, buckwheat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper and blended until smooth. Then I dropped the batter into teaspoon-size mounds on baking sheets sprayed with cooking spray. Then using the back of the spoon I spread out each mound until it was as thin as I could possibly spread it. I baked them until crispy and slightly golden, then repeated with more batches. If you are throwing a party and looking for a, "How did you possibly make this yourself?" effect, this recipe is a good way to go. These crisps came out unbelievably thin. It's hard to appreciate from the picture but they were paper-thin. Or maybe thinner. Prior to making them myself, I would have deemed it very difficult to get anything so thin by hand (in fact, though, it wasn't difficult at all). So in that sense, these were impressive. But the real question is, why would you want them to be so thin? They were so thin that they were incredibly delicate. You could hardly pick them up without them breaking to pieces, and there is no way these crisps could have supported any sort of dip, or topping. They were just too fragile. So as a cracker they were pretty useless. They did taste pretty good on their own. They had a bit of butteriness to them, which was complemented nicely by the heartiness of the buckwheat. They had a lot of pepper in them to give them a little kick. They were yummy and I enjoyed eating them, but I would have preferred a slightly thicker version of these crisps, which could have supported all sorts of delicious accompaniments. One warning: these are baked in many, many, many batches, and in that sense this recipe is very time consuming. I have a lot of patience in general for cooking, but not so much patience for preparing the 8th batch of the same thing, so I found this recipe a little frustrating.

Here is the recipe.

Hello from Wisconsin! I am home for a few days with my family in Madison. My special gentleman and I drove up on Saturday. It is incredibly cold here. Insanely cold. Inhumanely cold. Yesterday afternoon at some point my mom said with enthusiasm, "Look, it's up to 1 degree!" And that's on the Fahrenheit scale. Brrr.... It is so cold here that the adhesive that sticks the rear view mirror to the windshield in my car froze and then failed. So when I went out to my car yesterday the rear view mirror had just fallen off. It was just sitting there, near the gear shift, and the only thing left of it on the windshield was a little bit of frozen adhesive. Crazy! It's that cold... So I have been spending a lot of time inside, curled up near the fireplace, trying to stay warm! Fortunately, my agenda isn't too busy while I am here. I need to do a little more Christmas shopping, and I am making a pre-Christmas dinner for my immediate family, so there is cooking to be done! We have Christmas in 3 shifts: my immediate family celebrates on the 23rd, then we celebrate with my extended family on Christmas Eve, then we drive to Ohio to celebrate with my special gentleman's family on Christmas Day! Of these three meals, I am only responsible for the first one: a pre-Christmas Christmas dinner for my immediate family. I am especially happy to cook when the weather outside is like this. It seems very appealing to be in the kitchen where it is warm!

No comments: