Thursday, December 25, 2008

Posole (Page 486)

RECIPE #891

  • Date: Friday, December 12, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B
I am trying to cook more from the Beef, Veal, Pork, and Lamb section of The Book, so I made this braised pork stew several weeks ago. I started by soaking dried New Mexico and guajillo chiles in simmering water. I then pureed the chiles with water, oregano, salt, cumin seeds, pepper, garlic, tomato, and onion to form the sauce for the pork. I simmered cubes of pork shoulder in the sauce for an hour, then added white hominy and cooked for another 30 minutes. I served it topped with chopped onion, cilantro, and radish. The dish was pretty good. The pork was wonderfully tender, although it was a little too fatty for my taste. I loved the hominy (I love essentially all corn products -- hominy is dried corn kernels soaked in alkali to remove the hulls). The sauce had a good flavor, but despite the variety of ingredients that went into it, it was a bit one-note. The flavor of the chiles dominated the rest of the dish. That flavor was so strong that although I enjoyed the first few bites very much, I grew tired of it before I finished my bowl. Overall, the dish was tasty, but I would have preferred a broth that was a bit milder in flavor.

This recipe isn't online.

Merry Christmas!!! I have had a lovely holiday so far. My immediate family celebrated Christmas in Madison on the 23rd with a big dinner (crown roast of pork with apple stuffing, asparagus soup with parmesan custards, pear and goat cheese salad, gnocchi amatriciana, and creme caramel) and present opening. On Christmas Eve we drove to Fond du Lac to celebrate with my extended family. We ate another big meal, opened more presents, and engaged in our traditional Christmas Eve activities (ping pong, Sheepshead, etc...). My special gentleman and I hit the road in the early evening and drove through the night to get to Westerville, Ohio for Christmas morning. Today we have been celebrating with my special gentleman's immediate family, and this weekend we will have two more Christmas celebrations with his extended family. It is a busy holiday season, full of good food and celebration!

2 comments:

robincosby said...

I make this posole recipe quite frequently, and I love it. Some of the things that I've figured out about it is that I usually put a little more of the tomatoes, and spices, and usually the chiles, too, for the amount of water. I also cook the recipe much longer than the book has it. I often make this to take to work, and I will make it one day, just leaving it on the stove on low heat all day, then take it to work the next morning in the crock pot. The flavor is much more rounded that way, it seems. My friend's dad runs a restaurant with his Mexican mother, and he said it is the best posole he's had.

Teena said...

Yeah, I think cooking it longer definitely would have helped. I will try that if I make posole again!