- Date: Sunday, December 14, 2008 -- 8pm
- Location: Bloomington, IN
- Kitchen: My Apartment
- Fellow Chef: Matty
- Recipe Rating: B
This recipe has been on the list generated by the random number generator for months now. My special gentleman and I finally made this one together a couple weeks ago. We started by making a dressing of Major Grey chutney, lime juice, veggie oil, cayenne, and salt. I marinated the shrimp for 15 minutes in a tandoori-type mixture of paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger, serrano chiles, yogurt, lime zest, salt and pepper. I then cooked the shrimp in oil, then tossed them with watercress, cilantro, red bell peppers, mangoes, and the dressing. This salad was pretty good. The shrimp had a nice flavor from the marinade, and it went well with the mango and bell pepper. The dressing was also very tasty -- nicely acidic and a bit spicy. The real downfall of this recipe was the greens. The recipe called for watercress sprigs and cilantro sprigs. The flavors of the watercress and cilantro were nice in the salad, but having sprigs instead of just leaves meant that there were a lot of stems in the salad. The stems really detracted from the texture of the salad. My special gentleman was initially excited not to have to take all of the leaves off the greens, but admitted later that although it was time-saving, it didn't do good things for the dish having those whole springs in there. I would have liked this dish much better if the springs had been replaced by some mixed greens and a few cilantro leaves. With that modification I would be more than happy to make it again.
Here is the recipe.
As the year is coming to a close, I have been reflecting back on the many events of the year. Overall, 2008 has served me well. My special gentleman and I got engaged, work has gone well, teaching my classes has been fun, and I have spent a lot of quality time with friends and family. I have also done quite a bit of cooking. I had hoped to cook 325 recipes this year, and I didn't quite make it. I made just over 300, but at least that was an improvement from last year's count of 274. As I get further along in The Book I had expected that I would slow down a bit (since the recipes I have left are some of the longer/more complicated and the ones with harder to find ingredients) but that hasn't happened so much. I am quite happy about that. It is certainly true that many of the recipes now take more advance planning to acquire the right equipment or ingredients, but I am managing to stay organized and keep cooking!
I got some new equipment off the Gourmet Project Wish List for Christmas: couer a la creme molds from my brother Spencer and his girlfriend Ellen. I have had a lot of trouble finding those, so I am quite excited to use them! That will be another recipe down!