Sunday, December 07, 2008

Swedish Ginger Thins (Page 679)

RECIPE #881

  • Date: Tuesday, November 26, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Spencer, Ellen, Brenda, Scarecrow, Karen H, and Dave
  • Recipe Rating: A-


Yes, this is the fourth dessert I am blogging about in a row, which means it was the fourth dessert I made in a row. Don't judge me! I wanted to make some cookies to bring to my special gentleman's parents' house when we went there for Thanksgiving. These sounded seasonally appropriate so I gave them a try. I didn't have a good mental picture of how these cookies would turn out while I was making them. But, they ended being a yummy version of thin, crispy, ginger cookies that I know and love (yes, I probably could have guessed that from the name of the recipe, but I didn't think about it too hard!). The recipe was a little bit atypical in that it started with making whipped cream, which got folded into the cookie dough at some point. I certainly have never added whipped cream to a dough for rolled cookies, but these cookies were great, so I'm not complaining. Other than that it was pretty typical: cream butter and sugar, beat in corn syrup and whipped cream. Sift in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves, and beat until combined. I then chilled the dough. The recipe said to chill for at least 2 hours. I ended up chilling for 2 days. Then I divided the dough in fourths, rolled out one piece at a time, and cut out the shapes you see above. Then I baked them until they were delicious and crispy. I spent quite a while cutting out these cookies -- the recipe made a lot! Enough that I gave a tin full to Scarecrow and Brenda, sent a tin full to Spencer and Ellen, brought a tupperware full to Karen and Dave's and still had enough for my special gentleman to eat at least a dozen the night I made them. There were a lot (the recipe says 13 dozen and I had at least that many!). Mmmm... they were good. They were very thin and nice and crisp, with a lovely buttery-ness and a spiced flavor. They were the perfect cookie for dipping in tea. Yum! The only downside of this recipe is that it was a bit of a pain in the ass -- lots of rolling and cutting, and rolling again, etc... But in my opinion it was worth it for the oodles and oodles of yummy cookies that it produced!

Here is the recipe.

Sunday night. I am sitting on the sofa in my PJs and fuzzy slippers at 9pm on this Sunday evening. I had such a nice weekend. Friday night Teresa and I went to see the Nutcracker, which I hadn't seen in ages. I had almost forgotten what a strange, strange story it is. It was fun though, and some of the dancers were very impressive. Yesterday and today I spent most of the day in the office. I like being in my office on the weekend. It's very peaceful, and I get a lot more done that I would if I stayed at home. I also get a lot more done than I do on a weekday, because there are fewer distractions.

On Friday night I didn't set my alarm, so yesterday I slept until I woke up naturally -- a luxury I rarely enjoy. It was amazing how alert I felt all day yesterday. It's crazy what 9 hours of sleep will do for you! I was very productive at the office, and then I came home and got a bunch of cooking done. Then I got a long night of sleep last night and did the same today. Perhaps I should try to get more sleep regularly!

No comments: