Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Celery with Fennel and Bacon (Page 532)

LinkRECIPE #899

  • Date: Thursday, December 18, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

I chose this recipe because I wanted to make a vegetable dish, and this was one of the few recipes I hadn't made from the Vegetables section of The Book. We started by prepping the vegetables, then blanching the celery, then the fennel in boiling water. We cooked some bacon in a large pot, then removed the pieces of bacon and cooked shallots, the celery, and the fennel in the bacon fat. We added chicken stock and simmered until the veggies were tender. Before serving we stirred in chopped fennel fronds, celery leaves, parsley, bacon, salt, and pepper. I didn't love this dish (you know how I feel about big pieces of cooked celery), but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Fennel isn't my favorite of vegetables, but I thought it was pretty good in this preparation. The flavor from the bacon fat that it was cooked in complemented the fennel nicely. Texturally it was also decent -- tender but not too soft. If you forced me to make a dish centered around celery and fennel, this is probably what I would make. But given the choice of all possible vegetable dishes, this isn't one that I would make again.

Here is the recipe.

Happy New Year's Eve! It's that time of year -- time to look back on last year's resolutions and see how I did. Here they are:
  • Respond to emails faster -- It's hard to argue that I did too well on this one, since I have many an unanswered email in my Inbox right now, but I also didn't get any worse, so that's something!
  • Run 5 consecutive 8 minute miles -- This one I abandoned and replaced it with my goal of running a half marathon, which I did accomplish.
  • Meet more people in Bloomington -- Done.
  • Be less mathematically shy -- I did pretty well at this.
  • Eat less candy -- Done.
  • Get back in shape -- Well, I was in good shape when I ran my half marathon a couple months ago, but right now, not so much.
  • Write thank-you notes -- Nope, I didn't do well at this.
  • Cook 320 recipes from The Book this year -- I was close. I got through 314.
Overall, not a great showing, but not terrible either! Now it is time to start thinking about resolutions for 2009!

2 comments:

Cookbook Queen said...

Wow! 314 recipes in one year is amazing--I could *maybe* cook that many but blogging that many is a different story....ha!

Your blog is a lot of fun--keep cookin'!

Teena said...

Thanks! Yeah, the blogging does sometimes takes more discipline than the cooking!