Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Shrimp in Adobo Sauce (Page 322)

RECIPE #898

  • Date: Thursday, December 18, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-

The Fish and Shellfish section is one that I am chronically behind on, so I made this recipe a couple weeks ago to try to make some progress in that section. I started by toasting dried ancho chiles and then soaking them in warm water. I pureed the chiles with onion, garlic, and oregano, then cooked the puree, adding white wine, white vinegar, sugar, ad salt. I added the shrimp, cooking them until cooked through. I served the dish over rice with diced avocado. Neither my special gentleman nor I were too impressed with this dish. In concept it seemed great, but the sauce just didn't taste that good. It was very one-note, and that note was one that neither of us particularly liked. It mainly tasted of white vinegar, drowning out the smokiness of the chiles, and the flavors of the onion, garlic, and oregano. It wasn't terrible, but it certainly isn't a shrimp preparation that I would make again. My special gentleman's comment on this dish: "Well, the avocado on top was good." Not high praise.

This recipe isn't online.

Today I devoted myself to doing some wedding planning, something I have done very little of so far. I was inspired by watching some late-night trashy reality TV last night about wedding planning (very scary!). My special gentleman and I are getting married at the end of May, so I figure it might be about time to do some planning! Luckily I have my future sister-in-law Deniz here with me in Ohio this week. Since she just got married recently (in August!) she knows way more about this kind of thing than I do. She is also way more organized than me, so it has been good to run through things with her and get her advice and recommendations. Today I checked various things off my wedding to-do list. I even ordered invitations -- something I have been procrastinating for quite some time now! Now I can procrastinate thinking about the wedding again for at least another month!

2 comments:

Deniz said...

Happy to help :).
I'd forgotten about that trashy show - that crazy couple - scary!!

Teena said...

Yeah those people were awful! I aim to not be like them while planning my wedding!