Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Baked Cheddar Olives (Page 28)

  • Date: Sunday, March 9, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Matt, Ana, Craig, Alex, Peter, Ricky, and Grace
  • Recipe Rating: C


Since the people coming over to our little get-together a couple weekends ago were all good friends, I picked a few appetizers to make that sounded bad. I have to make them all eventually, and it's hard to eat a whole batch of appetizers myself, so the best solution is to make the ones that sound gross for the people I like the most! They are the most likely to forgive me for it! These cheddar olives weren't terrible, but they were just very odd. Ana identified it as a conceptual problem more than anything else -- why wrap stuffed green olives in a cheddary biscuit dough? They weren't cute. They didn't taste particularly good. And they were fussy to make. I baked them longer than indicated, but still the dough tasted under-baked. If you had your mind set on combining green olives with cheddar biscuits it would have been much cuter (and easier) to just cut out a bunch of tiny biscuits and set an olive on top. But honestly, there was nothing magical about the olive and cheese biscuit combination. It's probably best to just avoid it altogether.

Here is the recipe.

My special gentleman friend and I recently celebrated a year and half together. That makes this easily the longest relationship I have ever been in. An old friend of mine used to tell me (in a way that I found mildly condescending) that my life was like a soap opera. Thinking about that now, I can only laugh. Things are certainly different these days. I wasn't wild or promiscuous when I was younger, but somehow there was always some sort of drama. For a while I picked guys who treated me badly. They weren't bad guys -- I just had bad relationships with them. So I would get upset, and I would leave. And then the guy would apologize and I would forgive. Repeat. Interspersed with the bad guys were some really good guys who I wasn't terribly interested in. Mix it all together and you get drama. Back in those days I wondered often if I just wasn't cut out for a long-term relationship.

Now I am older, and hopefully wiser, and I have realized something. It's not that I am bad at long-term relationships -- I just never found the right person before. With my special gentleman it is easy. I never feel tormented, or confused about what I want. I have no interest in causing or participating in any relationship drama. Things are good. The past year and a half with my special gentleman have just flown by and I feel very blessed by our relationship.

3 comments:

Philippe said...

I like "special gentleman" but I think you should consider "gentleman lover".

Diana Pittet said...

I cooked this recipe twice, and people liked them each time. The first time I made them, I had to add water to the dough because it was so stiff, but the next time the dough was more pliant because I used very soft butter. The second time was also more successful because I wrapped two olives at a time, instead of a measly single one. But I agree with you: it's a lot of work to make these appetizers. I do appreciate, however, their retro-ness. Read about my attempt at: http://cheddarbound.blogspot.com/2008/03/best-in-cheddar.html

Teena said...

Philippe: Yeah "gentleman lover" seems good to me, but I ran it by the gentleman in question and he seemed not-so-excited about it.

Diana: Adding a bit of water to the dough is a good suggestion. Part of the reason that they were a pain to assemble was that the dough was so crumbly. That also contributed to their not-so-cute appearance, as they cracked from the dryness. Two olives at a time also makes more sense to me than just having one little olive wrapped in all that dough. I'm not sure I will ever make these again, but if I do I will certainly add in your adjustments!