Friday, March 28, 2008

Fresh Mushroom Soup (Page 101)

  • Date: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


Matty loves both mushrooms and soups so I made him this soup a couple weeks ago. Let me just start by saying that whoever named this recipe is either fooling themselves or trying to fool us. Fresh Mushroom soup? Bullshit! This is Cream of Mushroom Soup. There is no way around it. This dish has a name and that's what it is. If you asked me "Teena, what's for dinner tonight?" and I answered "Fresh Mushroom Soup," what would you think? You would think of something light and brothy, with some mushroom slices floating in it. Maybe it would have a touch of sherry, or a bit of barley. It would be light, and healthy -- FRESH even. You would not imagine mushrooms cooked in half and half and butter. You know why? Because that is called Cream of Mushroom Soup. Ok, I am done ranting. This CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP (ok, maybe I wasn't quite done) was pretty tasty -- definitely better than the Campbell's version. I like my soups more on the FRESH side than the CREAM side, so I didn't actually eat much of this. But there was no denying that it had a good flavor. Matty liked it a lot, and ate about as much as it is possible to eat of this kind of thing in one sitting. It had the right texture of a Cream of (insert vegetable or fungus here) Soup. I can't say it was terribly visually appealing (you can see for yourself in the picture!), but it had a nice rich creamy mushroom flavor to it. If you are looking for a Cream of Mushroom Soup, this is a decent choice. If you are looking for a Fresh Mushroom Soup, look elsewhere.

This recipe isn't online.

Ah, Friday afternoon! The conference ended yesterday afternoon and today I met with Mike all day. Right now I am sitting under a tree on the gorgeous Stanford campus, just relaxing for a few minutes, enjoying the weather, and watching people walk by. Tonight: Chez Panisse! Then, a (hopefully) relaxing weekend and it is back to Bloomington on Monday. This is my last in a long series of trips (for a while!), but next weekend there is an American Mathematical Society (AMS) meeting in Bloomington, so things won't calm down quite yet.

I absolutely love the Midwest. I was born there, and I hope to settle there. But I have to admit, Northern California tugs at my heart. I don't know what it is -- the weather? Wonderfully fond memories of being an undergraduate at Stanford? The sheer beauty of the Stanford campus, and the foothills? The smell of spring here? Maybe all of the above. Or more likely: the people very near to my heart who live here... I grow much less attached to places than I do to people, and often when I miss a place, it is rather that I miss the people I spent time with there. My memories of Stanford are inextricably tied to my memories of spending time with my dear friends... It's hard to know sometimes if I miss California, or if I just miss them!

One downside of being a young academic is all the moving around. In some ways it is great -- you get to meet so many people and experience so many different places. But you also are constantly leaving (or being left by) your friends. My friends from high school, college, and especially graduate school are rapidly scattering around the country, and the rest of the world. I miss you all!

No comments: