Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Wheat Berries with Pecans (Page 264)

  • Date: Saturday, March 8, 2008 -- 10pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


The "Grains and Beans" section of The Book is running low, but I still can't resist it! This was one of the few recipes left. The last wheat berry recipe I made from The Book was insanely flavorful. It had many, many super-strong flavors thrown together in one dish, with results that weren't favorable. This recipe took it to the other extreme. There wasn't much to this dish: wheat berries, pecans, garlic, and onions. It was very simple, to the point where it was a touch dull. That said, both Matty and I enjoyed it well enough, and having been eating the leftovers for days. I wouldn't make it again though. It was a bit too "blah." The best way I can capture it is by saying that it tasted as though the recipe was developed to taste healthy. Matty and I stirred some leftover beurre blanc into the leftovers from this dish to give it some flavor (there goes any healthiness it had!), and that was a big improvement. By itself, though, I wasn't too captivated by this dish.

Here is the recipe.

I am having a lovely time in Boston! On Sunday night Matty and I had some friends over to cook from The Book and play Kill Dr. Lucky! We knocked out seven recipes, including six from the hors d'oeuvres section of The Book, which is one of my slowest. It's great cooking for people who have eaten lots and lots of recipes from my project because I worry not-at-all about the food potentially tasting bad. Everyone who showed up was prepared for the possibility that some things might be terrible. It's part of the experience. In Bloomington I still worry a bit about serving awful things to my new friends. Here though, it's more fun if at least one thing is terrible!

Yesterday and today I went into the department at MIT. It's nice to be back there, attending seminars and seeing friends. They aren't on spring break this week, so the department is bustling with activity, as it usually is. I have managed to get some work done, and enjoy the company of people that I don't see so often any more. Overall, thus far it has been one of my more productive spring breaks!

No comments: