Monday, March 17, 2008

Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip (Page 21)

  • Date: Sunday, March 9, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Ricky, Matt, Ana, Craig, Alex, Peter, and Grace
  • Recipe Rating: B-


This recipe was another yet another in the Eat-Seafood-While-in-Boston plan. I made this crab and artichoke dish for our little get-together last weekend. This dip was neither particularly good, nor particularly bad. It wasn't the most visually appealing -- Peter commented that it looked like vomit, and it was difficult to get that out of my mind while eating it. The flavor was descent. The crab meat was definitely the most powerful flavor, but the jalapenos gave it a bit of heat, and the red pepper added some contrast. The flavor of the artichokes was essentially lost behind the other, bolder, flavors. Matty thought it would have been improved by some better crab meat (his exact explanation of how it could have been better involved all of us on a rocky coastline, picking the meat out of fresh-caught crabs with a little fork...). We used descent crab meat though -- or at least it was expensive anyway -- and I thought the crab flavor was fine. My main objection was that the dip was dry. I'm not well versed on hot crab dips, but when I think of hot artichoke dip I think of a gooey, cheesy dip. This dip wasn't really dip-able. It was more of a spread. There was no hot gooeyness to it, and I found that disappointing. Overall, this was just ok. Most of it got eaten, but I can't see myself ever making it again.

Here is the recipe.

I am back in Bloomington this evening after an utterly miserable day of travel. I know, I know, I complain a lot about airlines, but this time, it was not their fault! In fact, the airline part of the trip went smoothly: my first flight was delayed, but not by so much that I would miss my connection, and my second flight was perfectly on time. My luggage came. I have no airline-related complaints. Nonetheless my day was miserable. A couple days ago I acquired a bit of a head cold. Yesterday after returning from our mini-break I slept all evening, watched a movie, and then slept another 8 hours last night. I woke up feeling much better this morning, except for horrible congestion in my ears and sinuses. It really, really bothers me when my ears won't clear, and that alone is enough to drive me bonkers. But on the airplane, it was brutal. My ears drove me crazy. For one thing it was painful. But more than that, when my ears get like this, my balance is totally thrown off. Even just walking I feel a weird sense of vertigo. Both my flights were terribly turbulent, and my ears were not working nearly well enough to keep me oriented with all the jostling around. So I was dizzy, and in pain, and deeply unhappy.

The saving grace in all this was that the people next to me on both flights were great (a nurse working on his PhD and a Canadian economist). In fact, the people on the way out there were fun too (an IU undergrad in computer science and a Navy officer who works at the school where they train the chaplains for the Navy). Having good company helped to distract me from my misery. Needless to say, I am happy to be on solid ground now, and dearly, dearly hoping that my ears will clear before I have to fly again on Friday.

No comments: