Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Sticky Toffee Pudding with Toffee Sauce (Page 830)

  • Date: Friday, February 29, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Mike and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


Mike kept suggesting that we make something that sounded gross to go with dinner on Friday -- something so unlikely to be good that I wouldn't make it for most people. To suit that suggestion, I picked this recipe. I'm not sure why this sounded so bad to me. Partly I think I am biased against English Christmas puddings. Admit it: plum pudding, figgy pudding, sticky toffee pudding... they are usually pretty scary, no? Add to it that the recipe just didn't read well (A pudding base made of pureed dates? Doesn't necessarily seem like a good idea...) and the result is that I have been putting off making this recipe. But Mike asked for something scary, so I busted it out! And you know what? I was wrong. This dessert turned out not-at-all scary. In fact, it was downright tasty. It wasn't terribly visually appealing, and Mike and I both sat there poking it with our forks for a few minutes before we took our first bites. But after one bite, I was sold. The toffee sauce was awesome (although I was doubtful about the pudding, I knew the sauce would be great -- it was essentially just butter, sugar, and cream!). The pudding itself was, well, also great! The pureed dates gave it a wonderful sweet flavor without tasting overwhelmingly like dates. The pudding was tremendously moist, but a bit cake-like. It had a lovely texture. My only complaint is that the puddings were HUGE. I am a dessert person but there is no way I could have finished mine. About half the size would have been perfect. Overall though, it was a winner. Perhaps I need to rethink my anti-English Christmas pudding bias. Lucky for me there is also a figgy pudding recipe in The Book, so I will have another data point to work with!

This recipe isn't online.

My special gentleman friend got me a very colorful ring (garnet, amethyst, and lots of things I don't know the name of...) for Christmas. I never take it off, except once in a great while to clean it. I cleaned it yesterday evening, getting under the stones with some sort of dental tool. As I was cleaning it I thought, "How does this thing get so dirty? I wear it in the shower, it should be clean?!?" Yet the underside was cloudy and mucky. Not even an hour later I was making cookies -- the kind of cookies with lots of chunky things in them -- and it was difficult to stir. So there I was, mixing it all up with my hands. It was an "Aha!" moment for me. So that is how my ring gets dirty! I constantly have my hands in what I am cooking (not to worry -- I also compulsively wash my hands while I cook -- food safety is very important to me!).

Even sitting here now, I have spinach gnocchi dough caked in my hair. Basically what I am saying is this: I am gross!

2 comments:

Deniz said...

LOL as to the spinach gnocchi dough caked in you hair.

Teena said...

Yeah, it was pretty nasty!