Thursday, March 06, 2008

Slow-Cooked Tuscan Beans (Page 270)

  • Date: Monday, March 3, 2008 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I have felt very drawn to the "Grains and Beans" section of The Book lately, and consequently this was one of the few bean recipes I had left. These Tuscan beans were tasty. They were slow-cooked in such a way that the beans didn't need to be pre-soaked, which is convenient if you, like me, often don't plan ahead enough for soaking things overnight. The flavoring was very simple: garlic, sage, bay leaf, and sea salt. The garlic flavor was mild, but nice. I appreciated the simplicity of the dish -- white beans are lovely on their own, which just a touch of added flavor. My one complaint is that the sage gave the dish a slightly soapy flavor, which I found off-putting. Were I to make this one again I would halve the sage, and perhaps peel the garlic cloves before adding them to give it a more intense garlic flavor.

Here is the recipe.

Spring break is almost upon us! Really tomorrow is the last day of class before break, but since I don't teach on Fridays I will be done and on my way to the airport this afternoon! Teaching the weeks before and after spring break is always a challenge. It seems that students need a week to get ready for break, a week of break, and a week to recover from break. Already on Tuesday my students were antsy and not as attentive as usual, so I can only imagine what they will be like today. It's hard to blame them too much -- I am feeling antsy for spring break myself! I am off to Boston this evening. Hopefully I will make it. I am flying through Ohare, on the exact same flight that left me stranded overnight in Chicago two weeks ago. Normally I fly direct to Boston to avoid that problem, but it being spring break made all the tickets really expensive this trip. So I am flying through Chicago to Providence, where my special gentleman friend will retrieve me. I am looking forward to spending a shocking 11 days in Boston! I haven't yet planned any get-togethers or anything, but it will be plenty of time to see friends, do some cooking, and get some work done. Yay for spring break!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try adding a can of tomatoes i suggest tho I haven't seen the recipe... and more garlic

Teena said...

More garlic is always good. Tomatoes might have been a bit much for this recipe though. I think the point was really for the beans to shine!