Friday, March 21, 2008

Cheese Fondue (Page 72)

  • Date: Sunday, March 9, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Alex
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Matt, Ana, Craig, Ricky, Peter, and Grace
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I've never been married. I say that by way of explanation for why I chose this recipe last Sunday. Never having been married, I do not own a fondue pot, the quintessential wedding gift. So despite my deep love of fondue, I have been saving this recipe for a time when I could borrow someone's fondue pot. Alex has never been married either, but mysteriously does own a fondue pot and was kind enough to lend it to the cause. So at our little get-together a couple weeks ago, we made fondue! This recipe is a bit difficult to grade. On the one hand, the flavor of the fondue was great (seriously, how can you go wrong with wine and melted cheese?!?!). On the other hand, the texture just wasn't right. It was much too thin for fondue. We tried cooking it a bit longer, hoping it would thicken up, but no such luck. I think it just needed more cornstarch, but we refrained from adding more in order to test the recipe as written. Alex suggested that it works better to toss the cheese with some cornstarch before melting it, rather than making a cornstarch slurry as indicated in this recipe -- it is then easier to adjust the cornstarch as you are adding cheese and seeing how thick it is. Would I make the recipe again exactly as written? No. But would I make it again with a bit more cornstarch added? Yes, indeed! In fact, I plan to, someday, after I'm married and own a fondue pot of my own!

Here is the recipe.

I am all packed and ready to go! Truth be told, I packed a suitcase on February 13th and I haven't totally unpacked it since. This is my fourth trip since then (two to the east coast and two to the west coast), and it just never seemed sensible to put my clothes away and the suitcase back in the closet just so I could repack it three days later. Yes, I have done laundry, but the suitcase has remained in the middle of the floor, holding some of the things I travel with, but rarely use at home. Last night I emptied the contents of the suitcase into the washing machine, and this morning I emptied the contents of the dryer into the suitcase. For this trip, I happily swapped out my heavy winter coat for a lighter version (yay March in California!), and I threw in a couple festive dresses (it being Easter weekend and all). And now I am packed, except for some food that I always throw into my carry-on at the last minute. It's a tradition that I pop myself a bag of microwave popcorn before I leave, and seal it up in a big ziploc bag so I have something to snack on during my flights. I also usually travel with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I used to never eat when I flew -- I was just too nervous. But eventually I realized that being starving when traveling on a long trip probably wasn't actually helping me be any less nervous. So now I force myself to eat! Comfort food (PB & J, and Smart Pop Kettle Corn) is the way to go!

Speaking of going, I should pack my snacks and head out!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I have two fondue pots and I'm not married. How did this happen???

Meghan said...

Uh, Teena, I think marriage is a good solution to the fondue pot. I know one guy who is just crazy about you (Teague!). Hehehehehe. Hey, and I was just in CA for spring break - Santa Monica for the beach and Bear Mountain so Teague could snowboard. I loved it!

Teena said...

Mel: How did that happen???

Meghan: Hahaha... I'd imagine Teague won't be looking for marriage anytime soon! Spring break in Santa Monica and Bear Mountain sounds awesome! So fun!