Sunday, March 30, 2008

Chive Corn Pudding (Page 536)

  • Date: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I am a huge fan of corn, but it just isn't corn season these days. However, this recipe included the option of frozen corn, so I decided to go for it! Plus, how could corn pudding really be bad? Slightly sweet corn-based side dishes are a huge favorite of mine (case in point: that smushy sweet corn stuff that they serve at Don Pablo's and Chevy's... mmmm....). Strangely, I had never made corn pudding before, and I learned that I have been missing out! Yum. Yum, yum, yum. This corn pudding had chopped kernels of corn as well as whole kernels, suspended in a custardy base of eggs, milk, a little sugar, etc... Then some chives got stirred in, it was poured into a pie plate, and baked. That's all there was to it. Quick and easy. It came out with only one flaw: some water separated out while baking, so as soon as you spooned into it water began to pool at the bottom of the dish. That was gross, but almost surely my fault -- I didn't thaw the frozen corn as well as I could have, and it probably had some extra liquid in it when I put it in. So if (when!) I make this one again I will be sure my corn is completely thawed and drained before adding it. Other than that, it was delicious. It was a wonderful savory side dish, but the bit of sugar added brought out the sweetness of the corn in a fantastic way. The texture was quite good, and the browned crispy parts along the edge were divine! The chives didn't seem to contribute much -- it would have been equally good without them -- but they also didn't do any harm. I ate this by itself for dinner (and lunch the next day, and the day after that!), but someone more together than me might make this alongside a big roast, which would be delicious! Actually this would be delicious with quite a few things. Even reheated the next day in the microwave it was very tasty. This recipe is definitely a winner!

Here is the recipe.

My California adventure is drawing to a close and tomorrow morning it is back to Bloomington! I love being here, and of course I also love traveling to Boston, but I think it will be nice to be home. In fact, I am planning to be at home in Bloomington for the entire month of April! It is hard to fathom! With all this traveling as of late, I have missed a couple (actually, three) lectures for my course this semester. I have found substitutes, clearly, but my students still seem a bit bitter about me being gone. They write these funny emails to the Webwork help people, all of which are copied to me, which start, "My teacher is on vacation, and so I didn't understand..." I don't think they completely get that just because I am not standing in front of the room teaching them applied calculus does not mean I am on vacation! I think I explained to them that I was going to a conference, but maybe that sounded like vacation. To be fair, as an undergraduate I am pretty sure I didn't have a good grasp on the research portion of my professors' job. Anyway, it will be good to be back with my students for a solid few weeks before the end of the semester. I think me being away does not help their attitude about the course (or, probably, about me!).

2 comments:

mish said...

I don't think the water is because you made this with frozen corn. I made the corn pudding with fresh corn I cut off the cob, and also had water separation on the bottom. Maybe putting in a little less milk would do it?

Teena said...

That's good to know! The next time I make this recipe I will try less liquid.