Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Vodka-Spiked Cherry Tomatoes with Pepper Salt (Page 26)

  • Date: Saturday, March 9, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matt
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Ana, Craig, Alex, Peter, and Grace
  • Recipe Rating: B


I had several helpers in the kitchen a couple weekends ago, so I picked a few fussy recipes to make! This recipe was basically very simple: whole cherry and grape tomatoes marinated briefly in a lemon zest-vinegar-sugar-vodka mixture. But, it called for the tomatoes to be peeled. Peeling tomatoes isn't as dreadful as it sounds, but when the tomatoes are so tiny it takes a few minutes. Matt did the majority of the peeling (without complaint!), so I can't really claim to have been overburdened by it. Often when The Book calls for tomato peeling I do it, but think to myself, "This is totally unnecessary!" In this case, though, it was clearly necessary. In order for the marinade to penetrate the tomatoes they really needed to be without their peels. The end result was very visually appealing and tasted pretty good. There was nothing amazing about this dish, but the vodka mixture had a nice flavor to it, and it went well with the tomatoes. The pepper salt was intense and it was difficult to dip the tomatoes in it without getting way more than you would want. I don't think I will bother to make this dish again, but it went over well enough at the party.

Here is the recipe.

I am not feeling well again today. It was one of those days where everything seemed foggy. I have just been out-of-it all day. I slept a ton last night, but I still woke up exhausted, so today I tried to move as little as possible. I dragged myself out of bed this morning, walked from home to my office, and sat in my desk chair all morning. Normally I pace around, get some water, go to the bathroom. I am restless by nature. But today I just sat there until the minute I went to teach. I taught my class, then I sat in my desk chair some more. I did manage to get some work done -- sometimes I am able to focus my energy well when I am sick. That more or less worked for most of the afternoon. At the end of the day, I trudged home through the rain, and have been laying on the sofa every since. It's just been that kind of day.

I took a bunch of decongestants and pain killers before I went to teach my class this afternoon. I haven't been eating much the last couple days, and I think the drugs plus the lack of food made me punchy. In the middle of class I started rambling about moose (it was peripherally related to the calculus being taught). I just got off on a tangent, and by the end of my rambling my students were laughing so hard a couple of them were crying. At least someone got some joy out of my illness!

Now it is off to bed for me. Hopefully tomorrow I wake up feeling better!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey Teena,

If you're still sick when you fly Friday, my mom in all her travels says the best thing is to take an antihistamine/decongestant combo (available at drug stores) an hour before take off and then a half hour before landing...Hope you get better! R

Teena said...

Well I am hoping to be all better by Friday, but is not I will definitely try your mother's strategy!