Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Broiled Eggplant with Cilantro Vinaigrette (Page 537)

  • Date: Tuesday, April 3, 2007 --7:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matt's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C


I am slowly running out of recipe in the "Vegetables" section that are quick and sound delicious. This one was at least quick, so I thought I would make it to go with dinner tonight. It wasn't good. On the one hand, since I am not a huge eggplant fan, I am hesitant to bash the recipe too much since it might just have been a matter of personal preference. On the other hand, Matt likes eggplant, and hates to waste food, yet he threw all the leftovers away. So I think it just wasn't good. The vinaigrette itself was actually pretty tasty -- a little too dominated by the lemon juice, but otherwise good. It just didn't go at all with the eggplant. The dish tasted like roasted eggplant with a bunch of very strong salad dressing dumped on top. Does it sound appetizing? It wasn't. Definitely not a recipe to be repeated.

Today I wrote emails. I took a shower and a bath. I did not one, but two crosswords. I cooked dinner. I did the dishes. I watched an hour of television. I went for a walk.

Today I slept until 9:30am. I looked online at apartments in Bloomington. I went to seminar. I ate cookies with my friends. I bought veal at Whole Foods. I turned in the forms signed by my committee saying that I successfully defended my thesis.

Today, for the first day in a long, long time, I did not touch my thesis. I didn't even open the file. I still have plenty of changes to make, and formatting to adjust. But today, I just relaxed. And it was wonderful!

Today I felt happy, and relieved, and loved, and proud. Today I felt like myself again.

What a good day.

No comments: