Monday, April 02, 2007

Cheese Straws (Page 32)

  • Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 --7pm
  • Location: North Conway, NH
  • Kitchen: The Talbot House
  • Fellow Chef: Andrew
  • Dining Companions: Mike, Big Mike, Vero, Jnkf, Ricky, Matt, Andre, Chris, Jacob, Vigleik, and a bunch of other mathematicians!
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I chose these cheese straws to make for Talbot because they were simple to make, and I am very behind on the "Hors d'oeuvres and first courses" section of The Book. They were quite nice. The puff pastry was flaky and delicious and the cheddar cheese added a nice strong flavor to them. I somehow forgot to salt more than half the batches of them. They were still tasty, but the ones that had been salted were much better. Also, at least one batch sat out near the stove for too long before it was baked, so the butter in the puff pastry melted a bit and consequently they didn't puff very well when it was baked. The recipe was quite good though, and since it calls for frozen store-bought puff pastry, it was very simple to make. Definitely a keeper.

Today I successfully defended my thesis! After all my worrying, it actually went extremely smoothly. And now I feel tremendously relieved!

I was really touched today by all the support shown by my friends. I got supportive phone calls and emails from people all over, plus a whole slew of lovely gifts: flowers, candy, cheesecake, cupcakes, cards, cake, etc... Alex even made me a cheesecake in the shape of a graduation cap!

After my defense we all drank champagne and ate dessert in the common room, followed by dinner at Rendang. It was a nice evening. I am so exhausted now! I feel exhausted in a really peaceful way though. This is the most peaceful that I have felt in months... What a nice feeling.

2 comments:

Clotilde said...

Congratulations Dr Teena!

Mike Hill said...

It was such a great talk! Go you!