Saturday, April 21, 2007

Sesame Black Rice (Page 260)

  • Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matt, Matty, Vero, Philippe, Peter, and Ricky
  • Recipe Rating: B


I chose this recipe because I had some black rice in the pantry that I had been meaning to use. I liked this recipe, but no one else seemed to share that view. It wasn't that people disliked the rice so much as they were just offended by the idea that making rice and stirring in some oil is a "recipe" in a "cookbook." To get a feel for the ridicule that this recipe (and I) endured, you can read the various comments left on the previous posts, or check out Vero's blog. All that aside, the rice tasted good. It had the deep nutty flavor of black rice, with a touch of sesame. There wasn't anything particularly exciting about this rendition of rice, but it made a perfectly good side dish.

It is finally spring in Boston! Today the weather was beautiful. And I woke up this morning feeling better after my battle with the flu this week, so I was able to enjoy the wonderful sunshine! I strolled Newbury Street this afternoon with a friend, people-watching and doing a little shopping. It was extremely pleasant. This is my favorite time of year: when the weather is just starting to get warm, but the summer heat isn't upon us yet. In Boston this period of time is notoriously short, so it is important to enjoy it while you can!

Tomorrow after the shelter I am headed out to Framingham to visit with Chris and Michael and cook dinner for the whole crew! I am looking forward to it. I get to visit with Michael every week, but I don't see Chris as often. And it has been months and months since Chris and I have cooked together. On the bill for tomorrow night: dinner for 9, as gluten-free and dairy-free as possible! One thing The Book is not ideal for is cooking for people with dietary restrictions. We'll figure it out though I'm sure!

No comments: