Sunday, April 15, 2007

Cranberry Fool (Page 803)

  • Date: Saturday, April 7, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex and Gunther's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Alex and Gunther
  • Recipe Rating: B-

There are a couple recipes for fool in The Book, and I hadn't made either of them yet, so I figured it was time to give this one a try. A fool is essentially whipped cream folded in to pureed fruit -- in this case, cooked cranberries with a bit of sugar and Grand Marnier added. This dessert wasn't bad, but it was nothing special. I found that it was just too much cream. I ate about half of mine and then left the rest. The flavor was nice though. The cranberry flavor was strong, but not too bitter, and the Grand Marnier gave it a bit of a boozy kick. It would make a nice component of a more intricate dessert, but as a stand alone, it was a bit boring after the first few bites. None of us hated it, but no one was excited about it either.

Hello again from Bloomington. I do love the Midwest! Last night my traveling companion and I went out to dinner, with beer, at a sit-down restaurant. The total bill for the two of us: $15.35. It was amazing.

It's been a good trip so far. I found an apartment I really like, but it's not totally clear yet that I will get it. That's a little stressful, but I am pretty optimistic. I have a back-up place that is also really nice, so if my first choice falls through, hopefully things will still work out!

I spent much of the afternoon today wandering around the downtown area, and campus. It's really beautiful here, and although I admit that the size of the town makes me a little nervous, it reminds me a lot of Madison, and I loved living there! After a long walk I got in the car and drove around for an hour or so through the country, enjoying the cornfields, and cows, and llamas, and little farm houses... it was nice. It definitely brought back memories of growing up in Wisconsin. It's really nice to be back in the middle of the country. I think I am going to like it here.

On the schedule for tomorrow: my first visit to the math department, and hopefully, signing a lease!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GIVE ME MY RICE RECIPE!!!

Philippe Alessandrini said...

You know what would go well with this recipe?

Rice.

Teena said...

Rice goes well with everything!