Sunday, April 08, 2007

Creamed Peas and Cucumber with Dill (Page 555)

  • Date: Saturday, April 7, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex and Gunther's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Alex
  • Dining Companion: Gunther
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I suggested this dish to go with dinner last night because I was deeply curious about the cooked cucumbers. I can't recall ever having eaten cooked cucumbers before. From reading the recipe, I wasn't too optimistic about this dish. It pleasantly surprised me though. The peas and cucumbers were nicely cooked, and the dill gave them a rich, round flavor. Alex pointed out that the cucumber were reminiscent of the pearl onions you would often find in a dish like this, but without the strong onion flavor. Indeed, they provided a nice textural contrast to the starchy peas. I liked the addition of the heavy cream to this dish, but it made the recipe much too liquidy. The end result was a bunch of peas and cucumbers, sitting in a sea of creamy liquid. It tasted good, but it was visually very unappealing. I was hoping the cream would thicken up the sauce, but it didn't. If I were to make this again I would cook off all the other liquid before adding the cream, and then add about half as much. Note: we couldn't find fresh dill, so we substituted dried, which worked very well, but consequently I can't comment on the amount of dill that the recipe called for. I just added dried dill to taste.

Yesterday I had an actual week-end day! I slept late, and leisurely cleaned my apartment once I woke up. Then I had a long cup of coffee with my friend Jon, who moved to Princeton this year, so I hadn't seen him in ages! After catching up with him, I continued my mission to get back in shape by going for a run. In the evening I went to Alex and Gunther's to hang out and make a big dinner with them, and drink margaritas. It was an extremely relaxing day!

Today I am headed to the homeless shelter, for our annual Easter celebration. Happy Easter! Easter at the shelter is always fun -- there is a ton of good food, a DJ and dancing, and lots of small children all dressed up for Easter!

No comments: