Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sauteed Swordfish with Nicoise Vinaigrette (Page 293)

  • Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Peter and Matt
  • Dining Companions: Ricky, Matty, Vero, and Philippe
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I had intended to have lamb chops as the main course of this meal, but Whole Foods didn't have the cut we needed, so we ended up doing this recipe instead (which, embarassingly, I had the ingredient list for in my wallet). This dish was quite good. The swordfish steaks were fresh and meaty, and the preparation was simple, but delicious. The Nicoise vinaigrette was pungent, but its strong briny flavor complemented the mild flavor of the swordfish very well. A few notes: one, the swordfish took much longer to cook than indicated in the recipe. Granted the swordfish steaks we had were HUGE, but they took at least twice as long as the recipe suggested to cook through. Second, making the vinaigrette required a huge amount of mincing (which Peter did without complaint!). Vero noted that she and Philippe made this recipe again at home though and just threw all the vinaigrette ingredients into a food processor, and it still came out nicely, and took much less time! Something to keep in mind... Overall this was a nice, simple, clean dish that I would recommend.

It's my birthday today, and I am having a really lovely day! I slept late, got some work done, and ate a leisurely lunch. Plus, the weather couldn't be more perfect! After seminar some of my math friends are going to get together and eat pizza and play frisbee in the courtyard. I am also trying to convince them to come bowling with me tonight, but I am being met with some resistance on that count! How can people not like to bowl?!? Bowling is so fun! Plus, it's hard to bowl in Boston, because almost all the places only have candlepin bowling instead of ten-pin and candlepin is no fun at all! But the only ten-pin place I know has open bowling tonight, and I'm excited!

5 comments:

Vigleik said...

Happy birthday!

I'd go bowling with you if I could. Maybe we'll get a chance to do that some other time.

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday! Wish I was there to join the bowling party.

Teena said...

Well hopefully when I am back in the midwest next year I will get a chance to bowl with both of you!

Mike Hill said...

You went bowling?? Man. Every time I suggested that when I lived there you were like "Bowling is for squares!" Then you'd throw a drink in my face. At least this is how I remember it, and I never forget anything.

I hope you had a great bday!

Teena said...

Yeah, Mike, that EXACTLY what happened...