Friday, April 20, 2007

Crisp Sauteed Cabbage with Caraway (Page 527)

  • Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 --9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Matt, Vero, Philippe, Peter, and Ricky
  • Recipe Rating: C-


This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. It was not delicious. I have complained before about the cabbage and caraway combination and I will complain again: it's not good. In my opinion (and the opinions of most of my dining companions) the two flavors just do not go well together. Further, as much as I love butter, this cabbage was just too buttery. This is a dish that should at least taste healthy, if not yummy, but instead it was greasy and heavy. This recipe got a big thumbs down from the whole Wednesday dinner crew.

This is the 400th recipe completed in my project! A few thank-yous to the many of you out there who have helped me get this far:

First off, a huge thank-you to the people who have eaten/cooked more than 50 recipes: Matty, Ana, Chris, Alex, Mike, Vigleik, Marco, and Matt. You guys are amazing! A special shout-out to Matty, who has eaten more than 120 of these 400 recipes with me, and who maintains an unflinchingly wonderful attitude about the project, even when the food is bad!

Thanks to all of you who have generously offered the use of your kitchen for the project: Matty, Chris, Alex, Gunther, Viglelk, Shihchi, Ana, Mom, Dad, Emilee, Brian, Peter, Paul, Ronen, Richard, and Anita.

Finally, a big thank-you to everyone who has eaten with me in the last 16 months. This project wouldn't be nearly as gratifying without all my favorite cooking and dining companions!

A few statistics: I have now made at least one-fifth of the recipes from every one of the 21 sections of The Book! One section is over 50% complete (Fruit Desserts). The 5 sections that I am the most behind on: "Hors D'Oevres and First Courses," "Fish and Shellfish," "Sauces and Salsas," "Puddings, Custards, Mousses, and Souffles," and "Relishes, Chutneys, Pickles, and Preserves." The 5 sections I have made the highest percentage of recipes from: "Fruit Desserts," "Cakes," "Pies, Tarts, and Pastries," "Grains and Beans," and "Salads."

400 down, less than 900 to go!

5 comments:

ana rita said...

congratulations!

Philippe Alessandrini said...

I heard Teena had a great rice recipe. Apparently it involves both rice and water. I look forward to reading about it on this blog.

vero said...

Dude! I need that recipe.
I have rice and I have water. What are the odds?

Philippe Alessandrini said...

Have you ever tried to put the rice into the water? Rumor has it that rice should be boiled. But I am no recipe expert. Teena?

Teena said...

Don't forget to stir in some oil at the end! Do you have oil?