Thursday, April 26, 2007

Warm Tapioca Pudding with Rhubarb (Page 826)

  • Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Peter, Matty, and Vero
  • Dining Companions: Ricky, Matt, and Philippe
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I picked this dessert to go with Wednesday dinner a couple weeks ago because Ana wasn't going to be there, and she never wants to make the pudding recipes. This tapioca pudding was quite good. Initially I wasn't completely sure about it, but ever since we ate it I have been craving it. The only major problem with the dish was the ratio of rhubarb topping to the tapioca pudding -- there was too much rhubarb per serving of tapioca. This was due more to user error than recipe error though. The tapioca balls were cooking while we were eating dinner and I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been. When I came back to check on them a whole layer of tapioca balls had adhered and burnt to the bottom of the pan. It looked really cool, but those tapioca pearls were inedible. When I drained the rest of them, I was amazingly able to rinse off all the burnt taste, so the end dish tasted totally fine, but we had less tapioca pudding than we otherwise would have. Whoops! This was a good recipe though, and one I plan to make again in the future. Indeed it would be good with or without the rhubarb topping, so if you are looking for a simple tapioca pudding recipe, this is one to try.

I am sitting in the Z-center, after a very depressing workout. I am back on my every-other-day lifting schedule, but it is disheartening how much strength I lost in the 2 months that I didn't lift at all. In February I was pretty close to making my pull-up dreams a reality, but now... not so much. I have a little more than 6 weeks left to build up the strength to do it. I am not completely sure it's realistic, but I am going to at least keep trying! Maybe I will have to extend my personal deadline to the end of the summer rather than at graduation. We shall see... Matt still maintains that I can pull it off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have always wanted to do a pull up. My friend here (who was a personal trainer at Golds) told me last week that the best way to work up to it is to hang from the pull up bar, pull yourself up as much as you can, and then slowly let yourself down. He called this negative strength training or something, but said it was the most effective way to train muscles. And he said it works the same musccles as a pull up so one should be able to do it fast. I haven't tried it yet myself, but thought I'd pass along the advice. He was very confident about it. Said it was much better than lifting weights....Food for thought (to use an appropriate idiom for your blog :))
Love, Rachel

Teena said...

Hey Rach -- Yeah, I have been trying that, and it definitely works better than lifting alone. I'm still not there yet though!