Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Blue Cheese Hamburgers with Caramelized Onions (Page 447)

  • Date: Saturday, May 12, 2007 -- 9m
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Matty, Matt, Ricky, and Tim
  • Dining Companions: Vero, Philippe, Mike, and Ana
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I picked this recipe for dinner a couple weeks ago because I was in the mood for a burger. These burgers were ok, but I wasn't too impressed. Several people complained about the blue cheese (e.g. Mike: "Without the kitty litter taste from the blue cheese, the burgers would have been fine"). I like blue cheese but I didn't think blue cheese was necessarily a good choice for this preparation. The burgers were stuffed with the cheese, and since blue cheese is soft, it melted throughout the whole burger. Thus the blue cheese flavor permeated the entire patty. Now, I love blue cheese, but the whole point is that it tastes a bit moldy. So when it permeates throughout a hamburger, it gives the whole burger a moldy taste. Moldy meat: not so delicious. If the cheese had been sitting on top (as it usually is with a hamburger) it would have been less unsettling. You could look at it and think "Oh, there is moldy blue cheese on my hamburger that is giving that moldy flavor." But when the cheese is melted in the meat and you can't see it, it's hard to feel too good about the moldy taste. Also, who cooks burgers on the stove? Hamburgers should be grilled. In summary, these burgers were ok, but if you make them, change the cheese and grill them.

I have begun getting rid of the possessions that I don't want to move with me to Bloomington. It's a fun game: trashing things or giving them away. It's very therapeutic.

I used to be much more sentimental than I am now. In high school and college I kept everything. Receipts from meals I had with people I cared about, or ticket stubs from movies I saw with boys I had crushes on. By the time I got to grad school, much of that sort of sentimentality had been lost. But, I discovered as I was cleaning a couple days ago, not all of it. I had on my dresser a few glasses that were filled with dried roses. I have moved those glasses with me throughout my last couple moves without even thinking about it. The roses are pretty and I remembered that they had some sentimental value, although I couldn't recall exactly what. A few days ago I decided I didn't really want them any more. When I started dumping the roses into the trash I realized that I had labeled the bottoms of the glasses with the occasion on which I was given the flowers. Now that's not only sentimental, but also a tad obsessive! It really made me laugh though. For instance, one set of roses was from an apology after my then-boyfriend introduced me to a friend of his, but called me by the wrong name. And it wasn't just any name that he called me, but the name of a girl he had been interested in before he started dating me. Ah, good times.

Anyway, the roses are in the trash now, along with many other things that I have decided to finally part with. And the sorting/trashing/cleaning continues...

No comments: