Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Fried Eggs Over Warm Lentil Salad (Page 638)

  • Date: Saturday, May 19, 2007 -- 11am
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A


Matt and I are trying to make some progress on the Breakfast and Brunch section of The Book, so I picked this one for brunch a couple weekends ago. It was wonderful. Everything about this recipe was just right. The lentil salad was delicious -- very hearty, and very flavorful. The vegetables cooked in bacon fat, along with the red wine vinegar, gave the salad a nice depth of flavor that is sometimes lacking in lentil salad. It was a wonderful complement to the fried eggs. I was skeptical about the raw spinach with a bunch of cooked ingredients, but even that worked perfectly. The bacon bits, both in the lentil salad and sprinkled on top, provided delicious bursts of flavor. This meal was simple to prepare, wonderfully delicious, and aesthetically pleasing. I definitely recommend it!

Mike is in town for the summer and it is just like the good old days: hanging out, pretending to work, eating at Anna's Taqueria for lunch and at Christina's Ice Cream for dinner.... err, I mean, after dinner. If only Vigleik were here too, the department would feel complete once again!

I like this time of year a lot. Everything feels more leisurely than usual. People are relaxed, walking around outside, mowing their lawns. Over the long weekend I did a lot of relaxing myself. I cooked with friends at Alex's house on Sunday night, and then with different friends at my house on Monday night. Both meals were a lot of fun. Other than that I did the usual stuff: the shelter, the gym, Target... Today I tried to sort out the details of my move to Indiana. I wasn't completely successful in figuring everything out, but I made progress!

Now it is time to get some rest...

No comments: