Monday, May 14, 2007

Roasted Butternut Squash and Spinach with Toasted Almond Dressing (Page 579)

  • Date: Sunday, April 29, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Dave and Karen H
  • Recipe Rating: C


I picked this one for dinner a few weeks back because it sounded really good. It was, however, not good at all. The main complaint was that the combination of the baked squash and the uncooked spinach was not delicious. It just didn't make sense -- not flavor-wise, not texturally. Plus, there was way too much spinach for the amount of squash. The squash was beautiful and delicious after it was roasted, but combining it with so much raw spinach made it quite unappealing. After tasting it, I separated out all the spinach from my serving and ate the squash alone, which was a huge improvement! In addition to just being an odd thing to add to squash, the spinach became slimy from being in contact with the baked squash, which was extra-gross. The lukewarm temperature at which this dish was supposed to be served was strange. The squash was much better when it was hot out of the oven. It's hard to make butternut squash bad, but this recipe came close...

I had the most beautifully relaxing weekend! On Friday night I visited Michael in Framingham. On Saturday I went out to Walden Pond with a friend, and took a nice leisurely walk around the pond. The weather was perfect, and Walden Pond is always gorgeous! Then I made dinner for some friends at Matt's place. Mike was in town, and it was great (as always!) to see him and Tim. Dinner was not-so-delicious (food from The Book can be unpredictable!), and I took a lot of shit for that. It was still fun though.

Yesterday I went to the shelter. It was a fun shift. My favorite moment: standing over a HUGE soup pot, squeezing the insides of some leftover chicken burritos in to the soup for yesterday night. It turns out that chicken burritos fight back a bit when you try to squeeze out their innards. I ended up with more than a little bit of burrito on my person. After my shift ended (and after cleaning the burrito guts out of my hair) I did some shopping, made dinner, and went to the gym. All in all, it was a very nice, very relaxing, very low-key weekend.

No comments: