Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Old-Fashioned Meat Loaf (Page 448)

  • Saturday, May 19, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I love meat loaf, and I had been eager to try this recipe, so I made it for dinner a couple weekends ago. This is a bit cliche, but I'll say it anyway: this wasn't as good as my mother's. It wasn't bad (you know me -- I like pretty much anything with ground beef!), but it wasn't one of the best meat loaves I have had. It didn't have a lot of flavor, and it was a bit tough. Also, the ketchup topping wasn't terribly exciting. My mom's ketchup-based topper has other tasty ingredients (however I am not sure what they are...) that make it extra delicious. This meat loaf did however get better with age. The next day it had more flavor to it, and was altogether more enjoyable. In summary, if you are looking to make meat loaf, you are better off asking my mom if you can have her recipe than making this one.

I am trying to cut back on candy. I'm not trying to lose weight or anything like that, but yesterday I ate more candy than I would like to admit, and I realized that maybe it would be good for my health to cut back a bit. So, I am eating only 4 little pieces of candy a day. I'm not so good with restricted eating. I usually eat whatever I want, whenever I want it. Aside from the candy, I crave mainly healthy things, and I have never had a problem with my weight, so it works for me. I have only been on three diets in my life, all of them motivated by the idea that I should eat healthier. In summary:

The Six Dessert Diet. Age 11. One of my friends told me that I ate too many sweet things. Perhaps she was right, because her comment motivated me to go on a very strict diet where I restricted myself to having only 6 desserts per day. It was extremely hard. I distinctly remember trying to convince myself that a fruit roll-up is not a dessert.

The Melanie Diet. Age 13. My friend Melanie was bored, and decided that my then pre-pubescent, stick-figure self needed to be put on a diet for her own entertainment. She made me eat banana chips and whole wheat pretzels pretty much exclusively. I hated those banana chips, so in the end she ate them all and I lived off the pretzels until I couldn't bear the thought of eating another one.

The Banana Diet. Age 20. I decided that I ate too much crap, so every time I started eating anything, I had to first eat a banana. I ended up eating a lot of bananas. It took at least two years after my diet ended to want to even get near a banana again.

In summary, my efforts towards restricting what I eat have never been completely logical, or successful. We will see how this less-candy venture goes!

No comments: