Thursday, May 17, 2007

Key Lime Cheesecake with Mango Ribbons (Page 752)

  • Date: Monday, April 30, 2007 -- 6pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Ana, Matt, Ricky, Haynes, William, Jacob, Peter, Big Mike, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: A-


Matty picked out this recipe for his birthday cake. It was an excellent choice! The key lime flavor was tart and delicious, and it wasn't drowned out by too much sugar, as key lime recipes often are. The texture of this cheesecake was also lovely -- it was much lighter and fluffier than your average cheesecake. The less dense texture worked well with the citrus twist to this recipe. The mango ribbons were quite beautiful I thought. The mangoes I used could have been riper -- I would recommend using the ripest ones you can find. I initially used my mandoline to make the ribbons, but my mandoline is a rather cheap, low-quality one, so it couldn't make them thin enough to be able to curl them as much as I wanted. I found that a vegetable peeler worked wonderfully though. So if you don't have a mandoline, or you don't feel like dealing with it, a vegetable peeler is an excellent replacement in this recipe. As it was, some of the mango slices were a little too crunchy. This was probably the combined effect of the mandoline not slicing them thin enough, and the mango not being ripe enough. Haynes suggested that perhaps blanching them would have softened them up a bit. That would have worked I'm sure, although if I did it again I would just slice them all thinner. That said, this was a delicious, beautiful cheesecake that most people liked quite a bit.

Last night Chris and I went to see the Cowboy Junkies in concert. Well, that was the plan anyway. As it turned out I went to the concert alone and Chris showed up a couple hours later. It wasn't his fault. Any master plan hinging on an airplane being on time is doomed to fail. Chris' flight got in two hours after it was supposed to, and hence he was late. It was still fun though. I don't think I had ever been to a concert alone before and I rather enjoyed it. Plus, I adore the Cowboy Junkies. This is the third (or fourth?) time I have seen them in concert, and they are always wonderful. They were playing at the Somerville theater, which isn't too terribly large, and our seats were amazing. I had a great time.

We then came out to Southborough last night to feed Richard and Anita's cat and stay here for the night. Now I am looking out into the forest in the backyard, and having a very peaceful morning. Somehow when I packed to come out here for the night I remembered to bring the three loads of laundry I wanted to wash, but forgot all my toiletries. I was lamenting this when I got in to the shower last night, but then I discovered that my razor, facewash, shampoo, and conditioner were already in the shower waiting for me! That's one of the many things I love about coming out here -- it feels like home!

No comments: