Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Rib-Eye Steak with Wild Mushrooms (Page 425)

  • Date: Sunday, April 29, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Dave and Karen H
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I chose this recipe for dinner a few weeks back because it sounded like something everyone would like. It was indeed very tasty. The steak was cooked beautifully, but it was really the mushroom sauce that made the dish. It was a beautifully rich sauce with mushrooms, bacon, and onions. Two other ingredients lifted it out of the ordinary and in to deliciously unusual though: maple syrup and lime juice. The sweet, rich maple syrup gave the sauce a wonderful uniqueness and depth. The lime juice provided a nice acidic kick. The mushrooms were tasty on their own in addition to making a great topping for the steak, and the sauce was the perfect thing to sop up with some bread. This was a very good dish.

Nothing makes me feel like an adult quite like car trouble does. This one was a first for me: I got a flat tire. It remains a mystery how this happened, but just as I was about to pull out of my parking space after seminar last night, some undergrad came running up to my car and started banging on my window. I thought he was crazy. Actually he was just trying to warn me that I had a flat. So I called AAA. (Yes, I am that girl who doesn't know how to put on the spare herself). The guy who came was grumpy but efficient. This morning I got up bright and early and (very slowly) drove my car with 3 real tires and 1 little tire in to be fixed. It's all better now.

It made me laugh though that the flat tire made me feel more like an adult than finishing my thesis did. I guess I associate adulthood with having to deal with the responsibilities in life that no one wants, e.g. car repair.

3 comments:

Vigleik said...

That's funny, I just had a flat tire too. In my case it wasn't really flat, just leaking very slowly. So I went to a gas station with compressed air to fill it up, and a few days later I had to do it again. But now it's all better. The car people were able to fix the tire, so I didn't have to buy a new one.

Anonymous said...

Were the steak and sauce prepared separately? What would you do to make it an "A" recipe?

Teena said...

The steak and sauce were prepared separately -- I think the mushrooms would make a perfectly good side dish without the steak actually. Hmmm... I don't know what would make it an A recipe. It was excellent -- I just only give out A's when something is truly exceptional...