Monday, May 21, 2007

Tomato Ketchup (Page 892)

  • Date: Saturday, May 12, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Ana
  • Dining Companions: Mike, Tim, Vero, Philippe, Ricky, Matt, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


We had a little celebratory dinner last weekend after I turned in my thesis, and we were making hamburgers and french fries, so I figured we might as well make ketchup. This one was hard to grade. On the one hand, it tasted ok, but on the other hand, it didn't taste like ketchup. My biggest complaint about it was actually textural. After many many minutes in the blender, it just never achieved that smooth ketchup texture. As you can see in the picture, it is very slightly chunky in a way that just wouldn't smooth out in the blender. The flavor was also a bit odd -- very fruity. We did an extensive analysis of the ingredients (and compared them to those on a bottle of Heinz ketchup) and ultimately decided that the fact that this recipe called for cider vinegar rather than white vinegar accounted for some of the mysterious fruitiness. All in all, this sauce was fine, but ketchup is definitely a misnomer, and anyone hoping for ketchup will be disappointed to put this on their burger and fries.

Ok, now that I have my thesis out of the way, I have a single goal left to achieve between now and graduation (June 8th -- a mere 18 days away): my pull-up! Now, the truth is that the pull-up prospects aren't looking so good, but I am not giving up yet. I have started a strict regimen of working out every day, including upper-body weight lifting for at least an hour every other day. Plus, every day I am doing some work on the pull-up bar. I have also taken up eating cottage cheese, my favorite super high protein snack, every day.

Can I do it in time? I have no idea. I am definitely getting stronger (the numbers don't lie!), but it's hard for me to gauge how far I have left to go before I will be able to do my pull-up. Plus, Matt, who acts as my personal pull-up trainer, is going to be out of town for the last 13 days of this effort, which won't help matters.

Well, I am off now for my daily trip to the gym!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you eat cottage cheese after working out? I'm under the impression that ingesting protein then is particularly important.

Do you have a measure of how close you are to doing a pull-up?

Here's something for your new apartment: pull-up bar.

Teena said...

I have indeed been eating protein after I work out!

The only measure I have is how much weight I assist off using the assisted pull-up machine at the gym. However, simple tests done by putting free weights on the platform of that machine show that the numbers on it are way off. So I have no idea.