Friday, May 25, 2007

Passion Fruit Fool (Page 804)

  • Date: Saturday, May 12, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matt
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Ana, Ricky, Vero, Philippe, Mike, and Tim
  • Recipe Rating: C-


This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. Passion fruit puree was nowhere to be found, so I made one of the listed variants: mango fool. It was bad. Except for Ana, no one managed to finish their portion. I still can't figure out if there was a typo in the recipe. A fool is a dessert where you take pureed fruit and fold it into whipped cream and then chill. The passion fruit recipe had a reasonable ratio of cream to fruit, but for some reason the ratio given was extremely different in the mango variant. The fruit to cream ratio was way higher than one would expect for a fool. And it came out disgusting. It was too sweet, and too heavy, and too mango-y. Instead of being the light, fluffy dessert that it should have been, it was heavy and cloying. Aside from the sweetness, I thought the flavor itself was ok (but much too strong). A couple people thought that it actually tasted quite bad though, and Vero had a theory involving the fact that I used bottled lime juice. In my opinion, the lime juice is not to blame here, but rather the lack of sufficient whipped cream. In any event, it was bad, so don't make it!

Well the pull-up mission continues. With 14 days to go, I am inching closer to my goal, but still not quite there yet. I have been working out every day -- which has resulted in me being constantly hungry, and constantly tired. I can't remember the last time I slept so much! Aside from the fatigue, it feels good to be back in shape. I have been running a lot, in addition to lifting, which always makes me feel good.

With only two weeks to go though, I am worried that it's not possible. I would be tempted to just extend my personal deadline a bit, except that I am going to Virginia for two weeks right after graduation, and I don't think I will have anywhere to lift there. If I take two weeks completely off I am guaranteed to get less strong. So I want to do it before I leave! Wish me luck...

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Hello! I actually have made this passion fool and it turned out wonderfully! I happened to have 100% passionfruit puree though. So if you can get your hands on some, make it! So, So, So good.