Saturday, May 05, 2007

Moroccan-Style Roast Cornish Hens with Vegetables (Page 392)

  • Date: Sunday, April 22, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Framingham, MA
  • Kitchen: Michael and Ephriam's House
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companions: Michael, Richard, Anita, Renato, Richard H, Jack, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I chose this recipe to make for dinner a couple weeks ago because I needed to make something gluten-free and dairy-free, and this one fit the bill. I thought these Cornish game hens were pretty good. The vegetables and sauce has a lovely flavor. The birds came out very nicely cooked. They were moist and flavorful. The skin was crispy and delicious over most of the bird, although the parts near the vegetables got more boiled than roasted, and boiled skin is never my favorite. Most people liked this dish pretty well but everyone had different complaints. For instance: the vegetables were too inconsistent in their doneness (Chris), the game hens looked too much like baby birds which made them hard to eat (Anita), the birds were too spicy (Renato), etc... I understood the basis for most of the complaints, but this dish won me over with its delicious flavor. The combination of spices that made up the base for the sauce really created a vibrant and tasty dish.

It is always a dangerous thing to go to the grocery store hungry. Especially for me. I love the grocery store. I walk in there and am immediately overwhelmed by the limitless possibilities... When I am well-fed, I usually manage to control pretty well my impulse to buy everything. But today, I went to the grocery store hungry. Not only was I hungry, but I went to the store as a break after many hours of work. So I was hungry, and mentally exhausted. I won't tell you how much I spent there (it's a little embarrassing) but I will tell you this: I only stopped shopping because my cart got too heavy to push! When I was standing in line, some old woman came up to me, called me "deary," and gave me a coupon that she couldn't use because you had to spend at least $50. She looked at my cart and said, "It looks like you'll be able to use it."

Well, at least I won't go hungry...

No comments: