Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Cauliflower Puree (Page 531)

  • Date: Saturday, May 19, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C-


I made meat loaf for dinner a couple weeks ago, and I wanted to have mashed potatoes with it. Unfortunately, I have already made the mashed potato recipes in The Book, so I decided to try some mashed cauliflower instead. I do love cauliflower, but pureed cauliflower just doesn't seem like a good idea, does it? Well, it wasn't. The recipe claimed you could either mash or puree it, so originally I had planned to mash (which sounds slightly better, no?). But as you can imagine, cauliflower doesn't really mash into something you want to eat. So I pureed part of it and stirred it together with the mashed stuff to give the whole thing a reasonable texture. It tasted ok (if you like cauliflower, which I do), but it just seemed completely nonsensical to be eating cauliflower all mushed up. Assuming you can chew, I can see no advantage to this preparation. One of the nice things about cauliflower is that it has some integrity to it, which in this dish was completely lost. Cauliflower also doesn't absorb liquid nicely like potatoes do, so the dish ended up having a pool of liquidy stuff at the bottom, which was very unappetizing. I would recommend steering clear of this recipe...

The blog doesn't reflect it yet, because I am desperately back-logged, but I have now completely more than one-third of the recipes in The Book!!! I am very, very excited! I am a little behind schedule though. It took me slightly less than a year and half to do a third of the recipes, and I was hoping to finish the whole project in four years. So, I will have to pick up the pace a bit!

There are a couple sections that are more than half completed: Fruit Desserts and Cakes. Bringing up the rear are Hors D'Oevres and First Courses, and Fish and Shellfish. The most consecutive recipes I have completed is 11. A few of my short term goals:
  1. Finish off the remaining 14 recipes in the Fruit Desserts sections so I will have one completed section.
  2. Cook as many dishes as possible from the Fish and Shellfish section before I move inland.
  3. Starting on the first page of The Book, cook the first recipe I haven't made yet. (So far I have made the first 5 recipes. Up next: Seeded Crisps).
  4. Get all the sections above 25% completed.
For all the statistics you could ever want, click on Alex's Project Index on the right, and scroll down to the bottom of the page!

No comments: