Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Blueberry Pie (Page 760)

  • Date: Saturday, September 8, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Teri, Chuck, Lynn, David H
  • Recipe Rating: A-


We had a blueberry pie in Maine a few weeks ago, and ever since I have been craving it. So, I decided to make this recipe to bring to Chuck and Lynn's last weekend. It was quite good. The crust was the pate brisee-type pie crust that is used throughout The Book. It uses a combination of butter and shortening for great butter flavor while still maximizing flakiness. The filling was very nice. It had a deep blueberry flavor, and the perfect blueberry pie texture: thick, but still runny enough to create a beautiful purple mess on your plate. I made one error in judgment, which was that I added too much sugar. The recipe gives a sugar range, depending on the sweetness of your berries. I went a little above the center, but it was too sweet. When I make this one again (someday!) with similarly sweet berries, I will add less sugar. Other than that, it was delicious. Note: vanilla ice cream to accompany it is a must!

This recipe isn't online.

Things here are good, although busy! Vigleik drove down on Monday so we could do some work for a couple days. It was fun to have him around and it seems that we actually made decent progress on something we have been working on!

For some reason a lot of topologists are concentrated in the Midwest, which is great for me now that I am in Indiana! It was so nice that Vigleik was able to drive down one day and back the next. It simplifies traveling a lot when you can just drive. There are also frequent conferences where many of the midwestern topologists get together for a weekend at one of the various universities with big topology groups.

In the 10 minutes that I have been writing this, I have received 4 webwork emails! I suppose I haven't explained webwork on here yet. Well, that's a story for another time!

No comments: