Monday, September 24, 2007

Veal Marsala (Page 457)

  • Date: Monday, September 24, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I have been thinking about making this recipe for a while, and tonight seemed like as good of a time as any. Truth be told, I didn't eat it though. I put it on a fancy plate, I tasted a couple bites, and then I ate Smart Start (my cereal of choice) for dinner instead. I have no explanation. It wasn't bad. I just didn't want to eat it. I carefully packaged it up and put it in the freezer, for another day, or another person. Perhaps this sort of dish (rich, meaty) requires a certain mood, and I just wasn't in it. A few comments from my few bites though: The meat was tender and complemented the sauce nicely. The marsala sauce had a nice depth of flavor and was intensely meaty. Tempered only by the mushrooms, this made for a very rich dish. It would be best paired with a simple salad or vegetable preparation.

Well I am back in Bloomington after a short, but lovely weekend in Boston. My trip didn't start out as smoothly as I would have hoped on Friday though. I was exhausted after grading 120 midterms Friday afternoon and had fallen asleep laying across three seats in the Indianapolis airport when they announced that they canceled my flight! I woke up just in time to hear them explain that it was canceled due to weather. Note: the weather in Indianapolis, and Boston, and everywhere in between was PERFECT. I was so upset (and tired) that I cried. I was that crazy lady, crying in the airport because the last flight of the day to Boston was canceled. They offered me a 6:30am flight on Saturday, through New York, arriving in Boston at 1pm. Since my flight back to Indianapolis was on 1pm Sunday, that prospect wasn't too appealing. I explained to the man behind the ticket counter that I needed to get as close to Boston as I possibly could that night. In the end he put me on a flight to Hartford (does it seem strange to anyone but me that we couldn't fly to Boston all night because of weather, but Hartford was fine?!?!). In the end all was well. A certain someone drove 2 hours to Hartford to pick me up, and we got back to Boston by 1:30am Friday night. It was worth it though for a lovely weekend back in Boston!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't know where the airplane used for the Indianapolis-to-Boston flight was coming from, though. It may not have been able to get to Indianapolis because of weather on the other end, like thunderstorms in Memphis or fog in San Francisco.

Anonymous said...

Hartford is far enough away from Boston that there's different weather.

Also, who is this certain someone? A special gentleman?

Teena said...

You're probably right, but I hate the airlines nonetheless. They always keep you completely uninformed and then give excuses that make no sense. Grrr...