Sunday, September 02, 2007

Spaghetti with Handfuls of Herbs (Page 204)

  • Date: Friday, August 31, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My New Apartment!
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I picked this recipe for dinner on Friday because it was quick, and we had a bunch of leftover herbs in the fridge. This dish was extremely simple: just spaghetti tossed with some olive oil, butter, shallot, and whatever herbs you have in your fridge, then topped with bread crumbs crisped in oil. I used thyme, parsley, and basil, which tasted good, but most combinations of herbs would have similarly produced something tasty under this preparation. My only complaint is that the dish came out pretty oily. The pasta was oily, and the bread crumbs were oily. It was a bit much. I will certainly make dishes of this concept again, although in my execution I will cut down on the oil.

There is no recipe for this one online.

Yesterday Matty and I rented a canoe at Lake Monroe (Indiana's largest lake!) and spent much of the afternoon out on the water. It was fun to paddle around, jump out of the canoe, swim, and the try to figure out how to get back in the canoe without tipping it over! The lake was really beautiful. There were a lot of motor boats, which ruined the rustic nature of our canoe trip a bit, but they did provide large waves for added canoe excitement.

The unpacking also continued yesterday. Finally there are a few things on the walls, and at least the main room is free of clutter and boxes. My bedroom: still a disaster. In fact, I haven't yet unpacked the suitcase I have been living out of all month as I have been traveling. My intention was just to unpack it as I wore the clothing in it. But it turns out that my pseudo-professional clothes I wear to teach overlap very little with the Maine-vacation clothes in my suitcase. Oh well. Today one of my many goals is to turn my bedroom into a room without boxes and clothes strewn everywhere!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay pasta and whatever's lying around the house at the moment! I survived on variants of this for a summer, but honestly most of the time all I did was cook pasta and try to throw enough dry spices on so I could pretend to not be living the epitome of the bachelor lifestyle. Then I discovered butter, and all was good.

--MG

Teena said...

It's hard to go too wrong with pasta and butter really!