Saturday, September 01, 2007

Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic (Page 354)

  • Date: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My New Apartment!
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


Matty and I picked this chicken for dinner on Tuesday because it was simple and garlicky! The recipe was ok. The roasted garlic cloves were tasty spread on baguette and the chicken was moist, but surprisingly bland given that it was cooked in 40 cloves of garlic. I also never like skin on my chicken unless it is crispy, which this wasn't. The highlight of the dish was the pan sauce, which had a lovely garlic and thyme flavor. It was delicious sopped up with some bread. Strangely it took much longer than indicated in the recipe for the meat to reach a safe internal temperature (at least one and half times as long). If you're going to cook a whole chicken, I would recommend roasting it rather than making this recipe, but it was fine.

I meant to post this last night, but then I accidentally fell asleep at 10:30pm -- whoops! That was my wild Friday night! I was so exhausted after this first week of classes that I just needed some good sleep. This morning I am feeling deliciously refreshed! I gave my first-ever pop quiz yesterday. I am sure my students hated me for it -- a pop quiz the first week -- but actually I think they did pretty well. I just glanced through the papers before handing them off to my teaching assistants, and it seemed that most people more or less knew what they were doing.

Last night (before my unexpected nap that lasted the whole night) I did something I haven't done in a long time: I made dinner from The Book just for myself. Matty is still around, but he was off somewhere yesterday, giving a talk and visiting a department. So I was on my own for dinner. I thought about just grabbing a sandwich, or ordering myself a pizza, but I couldn't resist the temptation to make a real dinner just for me. So I wandered to my nearest grocery store (only 3 blocks away!), bought some ingredients, and threw together one of the remaining pasta dishes from The Book (when left to my own devices, I almost always make pasta!). It was tasty, and I enjoyed sitting in my new apartment, eating by myself on my new table. Even more enjoyable: cleaning up by just throwing everything into the dishwasher!

Now: off to the Farmer's market!

No comments: