Sunday, September 09, 2007

Croque-Monsieur (Page 190)

  • Date: Friday, September 7, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Teri
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I picked this recipe for dinner on Friday because it was quick and easy, and I am all about quick and easy cooking these days. These sandwiches were quite good, but they weren't the best croque-monsieur sandwiches that I've had. A croque-monsieur is a lovely French concoction where a toasted ham and cheese sandwich is covered with a rich and creamy layer of Mornay sauce. In theory the cheese in question (both in the sandwich and the sauce) should be gruyere. I admit begrudgingly that I substituted swiss cheese due to the limitations of the grocery store I was soliciting while shopping for dinner on Friday. Actually, the swiss cheese was good. I dare say that gruyere couldn't have been much better. Still, the sandwiches weren't perfect. My main complaint was that the bread got soggier than I would have liked. This is an obvious risk when you cover bread in sauce, but I have had versions of this sandwich that were less soggy. I don't know if it reflects the choice of bread in this recipe, or the toasting procedure, but I would have preferred a method that produced more crunch and less sog. Still, the Mornay sauce was lovely, and the sandwiches came out rich and delicious. My mother oohed and aahed a lot as she ate hers. Granted she's an easy audience, but indeed they were pretty good.

This recipe isn't online.

I had a very relaxing weekend. I shopped and cooked with my mother, wandered around Bloomington, went to dinner at Chuck's, worked, etc... My mother has a talent for making interior spaces look nice, and she has been working her magic on my apartment. My favorite new addition since her arrival is a white rug. I wasn't sure about it at first, but sitting here now with my feet snuggled up on it, I can't imagine parting with it.

Speaking of things I can't imagine parting with, I am continuing to love cooking in my new kitchen. I am even (reluctantly) adjusting to the electric stove. After filling the entire apartment with smoke making a frozen pizza last week, I was having doubts about my oven too. But, the stove and oven redeemed themselves today by joining forces to produce a lovely piece of braised pork. The dinner my mother and I made tonight was so midwestern I had to laugh: pork, mashed potatoes, and broccoli, with blueberry pie for dessert. It was delicious!

No comments: