Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Sesame Honey Lace Cookies (Page 675)

  • Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: C+


I picked these cookies to make this evening because I was in the mood for something sweet. It's a rare cookie that doesn't appeal to me at all, but The Book has managed to come up with a couple of them lately. These cookies are delicate and beautiful (ok, well mine didn't turn out as beautiful as they might have -- more on that in a second), but they just don't taste very good. The sweetness from the honey is pleasant, but the cookies are so overwhelmed by the number of sesame seeds that the flavor of the seeds overpowers that candy quality from the honey. The savoriness of the seeds was just too much for these cookies. I also found the textural contrast between the almost brittle-like honey mixture and the chewiness from the sesame seeds to be rather unappealing. Basically: I am not sold on this recipe. They would have been cute though, had I spaced them out properly. Carelessly, I skimmed the recipe and was somehow under the impression that I was meant to bake all the cookies in one batch, on two baking sheets. So, my little balls of dough were spaced close enough together that when they spread (which they did!), all the cookies in each sheet melded together. So, instead of 5 dozen cookies, I ended up with 2 huge cookies! It wasn't such a problem -- it was easy to break the big sheets into pieces. But they would have been cuter of course as perfect little circles. Whoops.

Here is the recipe.

At some point in my project I started cooking big meals every few days (or once a week) rather than one thing from The Book every day. And I remember thinking to myself after making this change, "Why did I ever think it was a good idea to cook the recipes one at a time?" Now I remember: when you are just cooking for one, it makes no sense to make big meals! Big meals mean big leftovers. If I make a salad, a meat dish, a vegetable, and a dessert, how will I ever get through it all before it goes bad? One at a time is easier -- especially if I try to make things that will freeze pretty well. But it is inefficient.

I am also missing having people to cook with! Despite the fact that I have been to dinner at the homes of many different people in my department, I haven't yet invited anyone to my place to eat, let alone cook. Obviously I should -- I love having people over. And I especially love cooking with friends. But somehow the prospect of explaining this crazy project to a bunch of new people seems unappealing.

So in the meantime I will stumble along, one recipe at a time, cooking and blogging in the same day...

No comments: