Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Cauliflower with Cheddar Sauce and Rye Bread Crumbs (Page 530)

  • Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I have been eying this recipe for a while now, so I decided it was about time to make it! It was fine but it wasn't as delicious as I had hoped it would be. It's hard to go too wrong with cauliflower (one of my favorite vegetables!) topped with cheese sauce and bread crumbs. I had two complaints though. One, the cheese sauce wasn't as cheesy as it could have been. I was hoping for a deep cheddar flavor, but it was very mild. Two (and this one is more serious), the sauce was very soupy. I had imagined a thick, creamy cheesy sauce. Instead this cheese sauce was very liquidy, which I found much less appealing. It was especially disappointing because as soon as the bread crumbs touched the sauce they became soggy. Crunchy bread crumbs: delicious. Soggy bread crumbs: gross. That said, this dish still tasted good. I wouldn't make it again, but it made a perfectly good dinner.

This recipe isn't online.

After several weeks of not getting any exercise, I have started running again. I feel a lot better, but I am also really tired. Whenever I start exercising after a long hiatus it always exhausts me for the first few weeks. I am trying to run outside for the first time in years. I had problems with shin splits in college, and have been running on a treadmill ever since. But I haven't joined a gym yet here, and the weather has been beautiful, so I am trying running outside once again. So far my shins aren't bothering me, so hopefully that will continue. It's especially nice to run outside because there are still a lot of areas of campus (and Bloomington) that I haven't seen yet. So every time I run I take a different route, into an area I am unfamiliar with. The only downside of running around campus is that I keep running into students from my class. I think it is a little unnerving for them to see me doing something other than teaching calculus!

No comments: