Saturday, September 08, 2007

Orange Cumin Vinaigrette (Page 171)

  • Date: Friday, September 7, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Teri
  • Recipe Rating: B-


This one came off the list generated by the random number generator. Although the picture may be a little deceptive in this respect, the recipe was just for a dressing. I wasn't particularly a fan of said dressing. I like every ingredient quite a bit, so I was optimistic. But the cumin was completely overpowering. Even the strong citrus flavors of orange juice and lime juice couldn't stand up to the flavor of the toasted cumin seeds. I like cumin, but I didn't want every bite of my salad to taste of nothing other than it. This recipe definitely had potential. With about half as much cumin I do think it would be good. But as written, it was just too aggressive.

Anecdote from math 212 yesterday: The room my second class is in is pretty big -- it probably seats more than a hundred, and it has tiered seating. Yesterday I am slowly going through an example on the board, explaining in great detail how to solve some trigonometric integral. I have my back to my class when suddenly I hear someone whisper (quite loudly!) "I think she's crazy." I couldn't help but laugh. So there I am, in front of my class, laughing (which may actually be evidence in support of my student's claim). I turned to where I knew the whisper had come from and said, "You know I can hear you." Then the whole class laughed, as most of them had also heard his not-too-whispery whisper.

After class the student, deeply blushing, came up to me and offered his sincerest apology. He had some excuse about not understanding why I was writing down something in such detail, etc, etc... I told him it was fine. He made me laugh and that's not such a bad thing.

So it's confirmed. My students do think I am crazy. It makes me feel very professional in a way. I have officially become that crazy calculus professor!

4 comments:

Mike Hill said...

I am so proud that you have finally stepped up to the plate and completely lost it. G'wan, Teena!

Teena said...

Thanks! I have to say though, just because my students think I am crazy might not make it true...

Mike Hill said...

I don't know, Teena. Students tend to be pretty perceptive. Wearing trash bags over your feet as shoes and standing on the street corner "lecturing" about calculus does seem pretty crazy...

The word verification today started with "ebaby". What a wonderful service that would be...

Teena said...

Really? But I learned those things from you! First you tell me trash bag shoes are in, and now you ridicule me. Confusing Mike, very confusing.