Thursday, September 06, 2007

Shortbread (Page 687)

  • Date: Thursday, September 6, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My New Apartment!
  • Dining Companion: Teri
  • Recipe Rating: B+


In all honesty, I chose this recipe tonight because it had the winning combination of being both incredibly fast and requiring only ingredients I already had in my kitchen. I have so little time to cook lately that quickness is of the essence. What can I say about a shortbread recipe? Shortbread tastes good. How could it not? Most things consisting mostly of butter by weight taste good. This shortbread seemed very standard to me. It required superfine sugar, which isn't super easy to find, but is easily made using regular sugar and the blender, as I did this evening. The shortbread did have a nice melt-in-your-mouth property to it that was probably due, at least in part, to the use of the superfine sugar. Plain shortbread isn't my favorite -- it's so rich, and not terribly exciting. But if you like shortbread this is a perfectly good recipe for it.

Here is the recipe.

My project has suffered a dramatic slowdown since my move. I figure this is just my adjustment period. First I had to adjust to my 130 calculus students. Then I had to adjust to getting my own research done while teaching the 130 calculus students. Now I just need to adjust to cooking, while doing my own research, while teaching my 130 calculus students. As part of my new effort in that direction, tonight I made cookies (while planning my class, writing a Webwork assignment, responding to emails about the Webwork due tomorrow, and trying to explain to a student that she shouldn't decide to transfer into my class without ever having attended it...)!

Really I can't complain though. I like my new job (a lot!), and this week my mother is visiting, which has been almost like having a personal assistant. Today, while I was at work for many hours, she was at the brake shop getting the front brakes on my car replaced and the oil changed. Now, as I am typing this (half asleep) she is busily analyzing different ways of hanging curtains in my new apartment.

I think it's bedtime...

No comments: