Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hearty Goulash Soup (Page 126)

  • Date: Saturday, September 15, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I chose this recipe because I was looking for something that could be frozen easily and transported to Boston to feed a certainly hungry mathematician. This goulash was pretty good. The recipe started from lots of ingredients that I love (beef, bacon, potatoes, red bell peppers, etc...) and put them together in a way that enhanced these already delicious foods. I am always a fan of cooking beef in bacon fat. It is a great way to build layers of flavor into a hearty soup or stew. I cooked this longer than indicated in the recipe because my potatoes were taking their time cooking through (maybe I cut them bigger than I was meant to?). My only complaint was that it came out thinner than I would have liked. If I make this one again I will cut back on the amount of liquid added. I was hoping for a hearty beef stew consistency, but instead it ended up very soupy (which is a mystery to me -- with a roux in it made with 1/3 cup of flour, it should have thickened?!?). Consistency aside, it was good. Nothing fancy, or show-stopping, but just good, solid comfort food.

Here is the recipe.

I wrote my first midterm exam today. I've never written an exam before (well, that's not strictly true -- I wrote exams for the girl I home-schooled in Boston, but that was a bit different). The exam is in-class on Friday, so we will see how it is received by my students!

After my exam-writing fun I went to a picnic for new faculty members. Aside from the joy of eating an enormous hot dog, followed by a huge sugar cookie with blue sprinkles, it was also fun to meet some new people! I even met some people from other departments! Shocking, I know! After the picnic I rushed back to the math department for some movie-viewing. One of the profs in the department runs a Sunday night movie series. There is a HUGE projection screen in one of the classrooms in the building, so it feels almost like being in the theater (minus the scary fake butter flavoring and the Icees). Tonight we watched parts 5 and 6 of Kieslowski's "The Decalogue" (thou shalt not kill, and thou shalt not commit adultery). They were quite good, although a bit dark.

Now I am preparing my class for the morning and getting ready for bed. Good night!

6 comments:

ana rita said...

you're coming to boston soon?
:)

Teena said...

Well, yes, but only for about a day! One has to make very short trips when one teaches MWF mornings.

annief150 said...

Hi, I coat the beef before browning and this thickens the soup up nicely and keeps the beef tender

Teena said...

Ah, that's a good tip. I will definitely try that if I make it again.

Anonymous said...

DONT BE STUPID TEENA GOULASH SOUP IS SOUP! IF YOU HAD EVER BEEN TO HUNGARY YOU WOULD KNOW THIS! DAH! YOUR SOUP CAME OUT JUST LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE! DON'T BE IGNORANT!

Teena said...

Sorry to offend you. I wasn't saying it should be thicker to be more authentic -- I was just saying that I personally would have preferred it a little thicker.