Thursday, September 27, 2007

Morning Glory Muffins (Page 643)

  • Date: Thursday, September 27, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I haven't been having great luck with the cookies from The Book lately, so I decided to try my hand at some muffins instead. These muffins were ok. I like morning glory muffins a lot, and these had all the necessary components: carrot, apple, coconut, raisins, pecans... Despite all the components, my main complaint is that the muffins didn't have a lot of flavor. Certainly there was a lot going on, but the cake base didn't taste like much. Maybe it needed more salt? I also found the muffins to be rather oily. Normally I am a big fan of baking with vegetable oil, since it pretty much guarantees moistness in muffins and cake. But in this case there was just too much, which gave the muffins a greasy feel to them. They were still good, but it's not the best morning glory muffin recipe out there. Strangely, it also made more muffins than the recipe said it would (that very rarely happens). I ran out of full-sized muffin tins, so I made a bunch of mini-muffins with the leftover batter. I am a big fan of the mini-muffin. It's less of a commitment, but with the same yummy muffin taste!

This recipe isn't online.

Tomorrow in lecture, while I am handing out the weekly pop quiz (which is less of a surprise when I give it on Friday -- process of elimination tips them off), I am also going to hand out mid-semester evaluation forms. Exciting! I will get to see what my students really think of me! I can easily predict comments like, "Assigns too much Webwork," and "Should let us use calculators." But beyond that, who knows what they will say?!? I really like doing evaluations during the term though (rather than just at the end) because it makes it possible to actually effect change that the students can see. I am certainly not going to assign less Webwork because they want me to (or let them use their calculators!), but if they have constructive comments about the lectures, for instance, I would love to know that.

I think I may have been a little too adamant at the beginning of the course about not wanting my students to be reliant on their calculators. This week we have been talking about approximate integration (Midpoint rule, Simpson's rule, etc...) and several students asked me if it was ok if they used their calculators to add up all the numbers. I tried to instill in them that there was a a difference between multiplying and adding on the calculator (which is ok!) and using the calculator to do definite integrals for you (not ok!), but apparently that didn't come through too clearly.

I had to laugh when I got my teaching assignment for next term -- I have only one class, which, as I understand it, is basically calculator-based calculus. I guess this means I will have to acquire one of these calculator things...

No comments: