Monday, October 01, 2007

Yellow Split Pea Soup (Page 111)

  • Date: Sunday, September 30, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I chose this soup because I thought it would freeze well, and I was looking for something to stock the freezer with. In general, I am not a huge fan of split pea soup, but this one I really loved. It was easily the best split pea soup I have ever had. It had a lovely depth of flavor with great meaty undertones without the ham flavor being overly aggressive. There were several choices for what type of ham product to boil in this soup. I used a ham hock, because it was easy to find at the grocery store. Since it turned out so well, I would definitely recommend the ham hock! The texture of the soup was also perfect -- it was hearty, but not too thick. If you are in the mood for a hearty pea soup, this is a winning recipe.

Here is the recipe.

I am glad that after such a long string of recipes that I wasn't too excited about, I finally came to one that I really liked. I was starting to worry that it wasn't the recipes, but rather I had just stopped enjoying food! But no, apparently it was the recipes, because I thought this split pea soup was excellent, and the recipe I made tonight (barley "risotto") was also delicious.

I am having my first big gathering at my apartment this coming weekend. A bunch of people from the department are coming over with their families for brunch on Sunday. Attempting to plan a menu made me realize that I have never really cooked from The Book for children before (except Enzo, but mainly he ate chocolate Lucky Charms for dinner regardless of what was served...). Luckily I have some waffles from The Book left to make -- everyone loves waffles! If I make some eggs, and a few slightly riskier Book creations, that should be enough! Regardless of the food, it will be fun just to have people over. I've been so busy that I haven't yet had anyone over for a meal. It's about time!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That's funny. We just had yellow split pea soup for dinner. Ours had potatoes in it though...Miss you! Rachel

Teena said...

I miss you too! Mmmm, adding potatoes sounds good. I love potatoes so much that adding them to most things sounds pretty good to me!