Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mustard and Cheese Crackers (Page 604)

  • Date: Monday, October 22, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: C+


I made and froze the dough for these crackers last week, so baking them off was the perfect easy cooking project after I arrived home from Los Angeles last night. These crackers were just so-so. For one thing, I am not entirely sold in general on making your own crackers. On the scale of homemade to store-bought, my preferences veer (perhaps unreasonably) far towards homemade for most food items. I make my own pie crust, my own ice cream, even (lately) my own granola. But crackers? I just don't see the benefit. Perhaps I just haven't yet found the perfect cracker recipe. This certainly is not it. Conceptually, these crackers seemed good: a cheesy cracker spiced up with mustard. In practice, the mustard was so overpowering there was no way to identify the cheese flavor at all. This was a mustard and butter cracker. Those were the only two recognizable ingredients based on the taste. Granted I love both mustard and butter, but usually as accompaniments to other things. Not just by themselves, in a cracker. I may still have been won over by these crackers if they were at least crispy, but they indeed were not. So, I am still in search of a worthwhile cracker recipe, and this is not it.

Here is the recipe.

While in Los Angeles this weekend we stayed with my brother, who lives in Lincoln Heights, near downtown. It's always great when you have someone to show you around, especially when that person is Spencer. Matt and I got an eclectic and entertaining tour of Los Angeles. Many of our stops involved food, and none of them disappointed. On Saturday we started the day with Mexican pastries from King Taco. For lunch we had tacos al pastor from one of the many neighborhood taco stands. For dinner: French dip sandwiches at Phillipe's. After dinner we went to Clifton's cafeteria (a strange, strange place) more for the experience than the food, but we had some tapioca pudding while we were there.

I have to admit, I have never liked Los Angeles. But this trip was probably the most positive experiences I have had with it. I will likely always prefer northern California to the southern part of the state, but on this trip, for the first time, I was able to begin to understand why people like living in LA. On Sunday after the wedding, Matt and I went to the beach in Santa Monica. We bought an Icee on the pier and as I strolled down the beach in the 90 degree weather, drinking my delicious, frosty, artificially flavored frozen treat, I could see the appeal.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Next time you are in LA, you need to go to Watt's Towers. They are great.

Teena said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep that in mind.

Anonymous said...

Next time you're in LA, let's have a beer together...
-Thomas

Teena said...

Yeah, definitely. That would be fun!