Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Maple Baked Beans (Page 269)

  • Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 --9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: N/A


Well, blame it on jet lag, or perhaps illiteracy, but I somehow completely ignored the last paragraph of this recipe. Here's what I didn't do: "Uncover pot and bake until most of liquid is absorbed and top is slightly crusty, 1 to 1 1/2 hours more." Since skipping an hour and a half of baking probably changes things a bit, I don't feel right about grading this one. (I do, however, feel stupid. Stupid, stupid, Teena.) If I had realized earlier (say, yesterday) I would have just thrown it back into the oven. But I noticed just now, after having eaten these beans for several meals. Whoops. Well, here's what I can say. Before realizing I screwed up, I was going to give this recipe a B+. It's very tasty, but I was a little bothered by the pieces of bacon fat floating about. I also thought the liquid was a little thin. Now, some more cooking may have rendered the bacon fat, and it certainly would have thickened up the liquid, so my guess is that I would have loved these beans in their completed state. (So now I feel stupid and disappointed.) Well, 533 recipes into this little project of mine I guess it was about time that I just totally read one wrong. Oops.

If you want to make it for yourself (since I didn't do such a good job making it on your behalf), here is the recipe.

It's chilly tonight. I am cuddled under a blanket, wearing wool socks, a sweatshirt and sweatpants, and contemplating turning on the heat for the first time of the season. The first cold night of the year is always a tough time to be alone. Tonight may actually be the first time I have really felt lonely since I moved here. Of course I miss my special friend all the time, but I don't usually feel lonely without him. Tonight though, I am cold, and sniffly, and wishing that my apartment housed two of us, rather than just me. Alternately, I wish I had some hot chocolate. I suspect that would also make me feel better.

Probably, in all honesty, I would feel a lot better if I just found a way to get warm. I guess that means it is time to turn on the heat. I am a little worried that I don't have heat (long story involving a very confusing phone call with the gas company). I suppose it is better to find that out sooner rather than later though... Ok, here goes. I am admitting that the cold has arrived, and turning on the heat!

No comments: