Monday, October 08, 2007

Spinach and Cheese Strata (Page 655)

  • Date: Sunday, October 7, 2007 -- 12pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Chuck, Lynn, Paul K, Beth, Mike M, Teresa, Chris H, Ayelet, Michael L, Ann, Daniel L, Jim, Marcia, and Tricia
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I made this strata for the big brunch on Sunday. Strata is a savory dish, similar in concept and texture to bread pudding, but with flavors of cheese and (in this case) spinach rather than the fruit and nuts of a typical bread pudding. This strata was very good. The gruyere and parmesan gave the dish a great cheesy flavor. The spinach and onion mix complemented the egg and cheese flavors well. Two minor complaints: one, there was maybe just a bit too much cheese. This is a complaint I rarely make, as I love cheese, but in this case it was just a bit much. Two, the texture was just a touch soggy. Perhaps the ratio of eggs to milk was just a bit too low so it never set as well as it could have. It was still delicious though, and it has provided excellent leftovers!

Here is the recipe.

I have to admit, I have become addicted to reruns of Beverly Hills 90210. I loved the show as a kid, and now seasons 1 and 2 have been released on DVD. Brad brought Season 1 on the Maine vacation and we watched the whole season that week. Now I am slowly going through Season 2 from Netflix. This show is amazing. Each episode has a (not at all veiled) moral to it. I have learned that racism is bad, sex can cause pregnancy, drugs are bad, guns should be kept away from children, etc... The interesting thing is that I can just barely remember what I thought about these episodes the first time, 15 years ago. It's funny how my perspective on these issues has evolved since then. I am pretty sure that I took this show quite seriously when I was in middle school and now I can't imagine how you possibly could. I also think that I looked up in some way to various characters when I was a kid, and now I see how cheesy/awful they all are.
(My visitor is watching an episode right now. Kelly is kissing Bobby, a guy in a wheelchair. Brenda is very displeased because she thinks Kelly is going to break poor Bobby's heart. Now Brenda is telling Brandon how upset she is. They are having a very deep conversation. Oh, now Bobby and Brandon are having the deep conversation.) If only they still made television this good!

2 comments:

Magdalen said...

I know -- I can't imagine anything being TOO cheesy, until I eat something that is. Ironic, but there you are.
I just wanted to thank you for this blog -- I'm research wedding cakes (my latest evidence of insanity: I'm getting married in Yorkshire in the spring, was unimpressed with Trevor, the local baker everyone raves about, so I'm thinking about making my own wedding cake, which would be checked baggage as frozen, unfrosted cakes . . . okay, so I probably won't, but I'm enjoying the research!) and your comment on Epicurious about a seemingly likely candidate recipe was very helpful. It also referenced this blog, which I've passed along to my cousin, Coffee Jones, who's doing a similar blog with recipes from Rachael Ray cookbooks, only she almost never posts -- two kids & a business to run. I've been reading backwards through September's posts; I look forward to your pre-move efforts.

Teena said...

Thanks for reading! You are brave to even consider making your own wedding cake!