Sunday, October 07, 2007

Pecan Currant Sticky Buns (Page 618)

  • Date: Sunday, October 7, 2007 -- 12pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Chuck, Lynn, Paul K, Beth, Ayelet, Michael L, Daniel L, Ann, Jim, Marcia, Mike M, Teresa, Tricia, and Chris H
  • Recipe Rating: B+


This afternoon was the big housewarming brunch, and what better way to warm a new home than with sticky buns! These sweet bread treats were pretty good. The currant-pecan filling was tasty, and the syrup topping was perfection! They were a bit too doughy for my taste though. I thought each bun needed both more filling and more topping. I had leftover topping, which seemed so sad to me, but the recipe specifically called for only 2 tablespoons of syrup per bun in the bottom of the pan. If I were to do it again, I would use all the syrup, which would have been a more appropriate quantity. The other thing that bothered me about this recipe was that since the buns were made in jumbo muffin cups and then inverted, the top was smaller than the bottom. In general that would be fine, but since the syrup was sitting on the bottom of the muffin cups, which became the top of the buns, the radius that was covered with syrup was smaller than the radius at the bottom of the bun. This made them seem dry to me, as it was easy to get a bite with no syrup at all. Normally when I make sticky buns I just set them near one another in a big rectangular pan, sitting in a bunch of syrup. This way they grow into cylinders rather than the truncated cone shape of these. Plus, the rectangular pan has the effect that there is plenty of syrup, since there is syrup both underneath and between all the buns. Then when you invert them it is messy but delicious. All that said, these sticky buns were good, they just weren't the best I have had, or made. But I definitely enjoyed eating them, and probably ate more sticky bun than I should have!

This recipe isn't online.

Well, only 21 hours behind schedule my special visitor finally made it here, and we have been having a very lovely weekend. This afternoon we hosted brunch for 16! I think it was quite successful. There was plenty of food -- it wasn't all perfect, but that's to be expected! It seemed that even the children found something that they liked to eat, so all was well. I had a lovely time eating food, drinking mimosas, and talking with people. I hope everyone else did too!

The people in the department here don't really know about my project yet. It came up briefly in conversation today as people were leaving, but until then the brunch guests didn't even know that they were being subjected to a largely experimental meal. I was careful to pick things that seemed likely to be pretty good, especially since I wasn't making people aware of the risk that they take when they come to eat at my place! Nothing was a complete disaster, so that was good. I didn't even make people grade. Somehow it is easier to force people to grade the food when the people in question are your fellow graduate students, or family. When it's a bunch of colleagues, every one of them more senior than me, and their families, it's a bit less comfortable. So Matty and I graded together, but no one else got any input this time! Maybe once people know me better...

No comments: