Thursday, October 11, 2007

Pecan Waffles (Page 653)

  • Date: Sunday, October 7, 2007 -- 12pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Chuck, Lynn, Paul K, Beth, Ayelet, Michael L, Daniel L, Ann, Tricia, Chris H, Jim, Marcia, Mike M, and Teresa
  • Recipe Rating: B

I made these waffles for the big brunch last Sunday. They were fine, although a bit odd. The slightly bitter flavor of pecans, plus the fermented flavor of the yeast and the tang of the buttermilk made them a little too sour for me. I think they would have been improved by removing the pecans. The finest quality of these waffles was their crispness, which was impressive. Probably taking out the pecans would produce less crispy waffles, but one can always add crispness by adding some cornmeal. I expected there waffles to be a bit more doughy, and have a nice rise in them from the yeast, but they turned out quite thin. There's nothing wrong with that, but it isn't what I would normally expect from a yeast waffle. The other odd thing about this recipe, is that it claims to serve 6, but it makes a ton of waffles! They must have tested this recipe with 6 seriously hungry people, because I can't even imagine 6 people eating this many waffles. It was easily enough waffles for 10 people, or more... Overall, these waffles were fine, but I certainly won't be replacing my standard waffles recipe with this one.

The recipe in The Book is similar to this one, except without the pineapple and with only 1 cup of pecans rather than 1 and a half cups.

One of my colleagues told me the other day that although his daughter likes to cook, he is hesitant about encouraging her to learn because he doesn't want her to end up being in a relationship someday where she has the role of doing all the cooking. I understand his point, I do, but it's so distant from the way that I feel about things that it was a bit hard for me to comprehend. I am the half of my relationship that does all of the cooking. My special friend cooked for me once (macaroni and cheese from a box, which I actually love!), and occasionally he helps me out in the kitchen, but essentially I do all the cooking. And honestly, it's not just that I don't mind doing the cooking, but I actually like it this way. For one thing, I love to cook. But even more than that, I love cooking for someone who will really enjoy eating it. I suppose it is a testimony to the fact that I really do get joy out of cooking for him that I am still making him food even though he lives a thousand miles away. Tonight I made a huge pot of black bean chili, some of which I put in the fridge for myself, and much of which I packed carefully in individual servings in the freezer. There are many, many frozen entrees to choose from these days. Periodically these frozen lunches/dinners get transported to Boston when one of us flies from here to there. We even have a little cooler than can be zipped up and checked.

It seems to me that it's only a bad thing to be that person who makes dinner if you don't like making dinner!

5 comments:

vero said...

Your colleague made me angry. (Which is great because I was trying to wake up!)

For me "Women's liberation" (or whatever you want to call it) is about choice.

Anonymous said...

First, even if the waffles weren't great they LOOK great.

Second, women DO have the right to choose their own paths and/or skill sets, as do men. I hate when parents dictate to their children rather than encouraging them. Seems ridiculous to me.

Third, my girlfriend cooks well, but doesn't enjoy it. She likes when I cook, I like to cook, and we're both happy with the arrangement.

-mr. anonymous

Teena said...

Yeah I agree. It seems sad to discourage a child from doing something that they enjoy for a reason like that.

Melanie said...

I agree that it is about choice. Since I'm low on money and time, cooking has turned into my hobby lately.

However, I am currently in a relationship where money is tight. So we agree that we should try to eat out less...and since I'm the one that has the cooking skills (thank you, 4-H) I end up in charge of food prep all the time. It is nice that he admits his ignorance and does the dishes every time, but I'm starting to resent the fact that I'm the one that has the skills that are continually exploited. I know I should just stop cooking, but it doesn't seem to be a feasible choice right now because we still have to eat. Arghhh!

Teena said...

Hey Mel-

You should make a point of teaching him to cook! It's only fair that he should cook too if you don't want to. If you give him lessons, he will have no excuse!